Image sensor cleaning

SashaT

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everybody, I am looking for any tips as far as cleaning my image sensor on my D7100. I have done the air (not compressed) method and while it removed some of the specs. I have three real stubborn ones left on my sensor that don't want to budge. In the past when air wouldn't work, I would just take my camera to a local shop for cleaning. This is great but the turn around time right now they said was a couple of weeks. I don't really want to wait that long and saving a hundred bucks doesn't seem like a bad idea either. I have watched a few videos on how to go about it but I wanted to ask the knowledge base here for any tips before I actually attempt a more in-depth cleaning.

Thank you.

Sensor Camera Cleaning B H Photo Video

I bought the Delkin Devices Sensor Scope kit 5,6 years ago, and it came with a BUNCH of swabs in it. I have since then bought some newer ones for my FF cameras. Right now it is on sale at $67.95, which is a good deal, consdering how costly swabs alone are.

Delkin Devices SensorScope 3 Cleaning Kit DDSS-SCOPE3 B H Photo

My best advice is: use 1 drop of fluid on the swab, and 2) press HARDER than you think you should and 3) huff some breath on there and use a second and third swab to get off any fluid if you have used too much. And finally 4) you get better at this with practice.

If you put 1 drop of fluid on each side of a swab--that is TOO MUCH fluid!

I bought the Delkin Devices Sensor Scope kit 5,6 years ago, and it came with a BUNCH of swabs in it. I have since then bought some newer ones for my FF cameras. Right now it is on sale at $67.95, which is a good deal, consdering how costly swabs alone are.

My best advice is: use 1 drop of fluid on the swab, and 2) press HARDER than you think you should and 3) huff some breath on there and use a second and third swab to get off any fluid if you have used too much. And finally 4) you get better at this with practice.

Thank you for the advise; I was getting sick of fixing the spots in lightroom or cropping the pic to remove them as they are all on the left side. What I think I will do prior to using it on my D7100 is practice on my D3000 that I no longer use. Once again thank you for the tips.

Cleaning a sensor isn't rocket surgery or brain science. It's super easy, and hard to screw up. You really gotta work hard to damage your camera.

I'm lucky that there are 2 service centers in the city that clean the sensor for free in like 10 minutes. I have faith in my ability to clean the sensor either.

I prefer brillo pads for stubborn stains!...jk

I've not tried any liquids or swabs yet, though I need to. Last time I did my sensor I just used breath and cotton buds but that's probably not the best method.

Y'all need to get yissefs a 3500-psi pressure washer. THAT will clean 'em in short order.

I paid $45 for a kit from Copper Hill Images, go for it, you'll be glad you learned to do it yourself. Just be gentle.

And what they said, one drop of fluid, JUST ONE DROP !!!! Or you'll spend an hour cleaning streaks, don't ask me how i know ;)

Another vote for Copper Hill.
Take a look at their site and while you're there have a read of the tutorials, they tell you all you need to know about sensor cleaning.
If you do buy one of their kits be sure to get one with the sensor brush, 9 times out of 10 the brush is all need although in your present case I would imagine that you will need to do a full wet clean.

Hmmmm dishwasher, pressure washer or brillo pad decisions, decisions. What if I just use a razor blade to scrape off the dust :headbang:

Thanks everyone for the tips, I will have to get a kit and try it out. After reading the replies, I am less worried about doing it myself.

Exactly what I would have said.

Is there a way to check for sensor dirt without removing the lens?

John.

I recentely got a "Sensor Gel Stick" dry sensor cleaning solution, and plan to use it soon. All the reviews looked quite interesting and I decided to give it a try.

Sensor Gel Stick

Have anyone else tried that? Any experience with it? It's said not to be appropriate to Sony mirrorless cameras. And to be ideal for DSLRs in general.

I believe if you manual focus at f/22 then shoot at clear sky. You should see any dirt or oil that is on your sensor that way. If I remember correctly that is how everyone was doing it during the D600 scare of 2014.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back