Image Size

DxAxN

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If you know you are gonna edit pics...resize, crop and post editing is it best to put the setting at the largest preset available? Or will you still get the same results wether it is set at large, medium or small?

what preset are you refering to?
if youre talking about image size...
i always leave mine at the native size, and i dont change that at all until i decide what im going to do with it. once i have done that, i will only resize a copy, as i like to keep all my originals around at full size.

If your'e going to edit, use the original file, RAW if available

I was refering to the presets on the camera...on mine under image size in the menu, I have 3 options - L: 14M, M: 7.4M and S: 3.5M

do you have an option for RAW?

Yes...there is an option for either RAW or RAW + JPEG

i would suggest also using the largest files possible with jpeg's as the compression is less.

and if you can do both jpeg and RAW that might be a good thing as you get more experience you may want to go back and re-work old images and you will have more options and control with the RAW files.

If you know you are gonna edit pics...resize, crop and post editing is it best to put the setting at the largest preset available? Or will you still get the same results wether it is set at large, medium or small?

RAW if possible, if not, the largest megapixel setting with the highest-quality jpeg compression (Fine or Superfine).

RAW if possible, if not, the largest megapixel setting with the highest-quality jpeg compression (Fine or Superfine).

:thumbup: Amen. There is an additional learning curve to get through when you first start using RAW, but IMHO it is easily worth the trouble.

I would say RAW also. Or RAW + JPEG. RAW files are unprocessed so they can be a little discouraging when you see them straight out of camera, they require atleast some minimum post processing, so it might not be too good if you aren't capable at post processing them. If you shoot both, then the settings for picture style in the Camera ( like Vivid, Landscape, Natural etc etc. ) will be applied to the JPEG while the RAW will stay untouched. That way you can see a rough example of the processed pic straight out of camera, but still have the RAW to revert back to. Think of the RAW as sort of a Digital Negetive. It doesn't change so you can always go back to it. Plus your out of camera post processing is much more capable than what your camera can automatically do to the picture. Thats why most people prefer to use RAW as well as the fact that the RAW file holds much more information so it makes it easier to correct issues like exposure.

I took some random shoots in RAW just to see how they look...and it seems I dont have a program on my laptop that will open them...guess I'll stay in the JPEG setting for now

What type of camera is it? Canon and Nikon both have software that should come with the camera that will convert RAW files for you into something else (and let you do some editing, too).

A RAW file is basically a digital negative; it needs to be processed somehow for it to be usable.

Its a Sony NEX-3.... Yeah it came with a Disc....but I havent gotten around to checking it out yet...Guess I better do that, I might learn something in the process.

Most reactions

Back