Image Stabalization or L Series?

Ze]2o

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
about to get some new lens..not sure if i should get a lens with IS or the L-series lens. what are the pros and cons of both?

Ze]2o;1155621 said:
about to get some new lens..not sure if i should get a lens with IS or the L-series lens. what are the pros and cons of both?

Many of the L lenses are IS.

L lenses are built out of stronger materials, are faster, some are weather sealed, and they are notable sharper and brighter, have special glass and different designs from the normal lenses.

Here's a good page, that explains it better.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Canon-L-Lens-Series.aspx

If you shoot mostly static subjects (not moving) and maybe in marginal or dim light or a lot of scenic type stuff where you'd like to avoid using a tripod as much as possible for convenience sake, than an IS lens is what you'd want.

If you shoot moving subjects like people, or want a better ability to isolate your subject, then a faster larger aperture lens is what you'd want before IS.

And yes, some lenses have both.

I mostly shoot my daughter (11 months) who doesn't know to hold still for a camera so IS/VR is pretty much useless to me and I need and have FAST lenses.

Canon also has some good prime lenses that are not L series. I use their 50 mm f/1.4, and 85 mm f/1.8. I'm getting good results with both. I can also recommend their 24-70 mm f/2/8 L series lens, and their 70-200 f/4.0 L series lens. The 70-200 comes with or without IS. Canon also makes a 70-200 mm f/2.8 L series IS. It's a great lens, but expensive.

And what length lens are you considering? I personally don't see the need for IS in shorter lenses, anything from wide to a short tele I find to be fine with no IS. I would spent the money on better, faster glass over IS.

Most reactions

Back