Image Stabilizer?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Sarah23, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Sarah23

Sarah23 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Do you recommend it? Is it worth the extra money? Even just for a hobbyist?

Basically I could get a name-brand telephoto lens without it and get it in the next couple months....or wait for a WHOLE lot longer, and get one with image stabilizer...but until then just live with my kit lens.

What about Sigma or Tamron? Are they any good?

Thanks in advance!

2. eravedesigns

eravedesigns TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well it would help if you said which body you have but I am assuming you are talking about maybe a canon or nikon. I have it built into my body and it is worth it.

3. Sarah23

Sarah23 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sorry...I have a Canon Rebel XTi.

4. MX962

MX962 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is a debate that will never end with some people get it dont get it ! I have used "is" but will never own one for what I do nature landscape macro portraits high speed action sports candids I do fine without it sure I get a blury shot on ocation but its my mistake as a rule . Some love it some hate it, I simply never "need" it . I think that is the question do you need it ? do you have trouble holding steady ? Its expensive for what it is.

there both good lens companies imo and i use lenses from both of those but prefer my canon lenses when it matters without a doubt .

get the canon2.8L its amazing

5. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It makes a difference. You can get a 2-3 stop improvement in camera shake. That means nothing if your subject doesn't stay still though so it becomes utterly useless for sports, except motor racing where slower shutter speeds can be used to emphasize speeds and the IS set to only work in the yaw direction.

It depends on what you photograph. If you're spying on people it's an invaluable tool.

6. Fiendish Astronaut

Fiendish Astronaut TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm interested though - how long does it take for IS to kick in on say a 70-200mm 2.8L mounted on a Canon body?

7. Sarah23

Sarah23 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I ask all of this because yesterday my friend came over, and she has a 75-300 Canon lens without IS, and it seemed to work just fine for me. Mostly what I shoot is either nature/architecture or children/friends....so I didnt know if it would be something I would need. Not every picture I took came out clear, but it was mostly because 1 year olds dont like to sit still....lol!

8. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's less than a second...maybe less than half a second.

As mentioned, IS is something that excels in some situations and is almost useless in other situations.

The way I see it...unless you are using a tripod all the time, IS will help you. Even if you are shooting a moving subject (sports etc), there is still the chance of blur from camera movement...and that is what IS can prevent.

IS is certainly not a substitute for a fast shutter speed...but it can be a god send when you need it. Wildlife photography is a big one...typically you need long lenses and may not have time to use a tripod.

I've used the 100-400mm F4-5.6 L IS...and when you look through the viewfinder and see how shaky you are at 400mm....then activate the IS and watch it 'snap'....you will understand.

Is it always worth the extra cost? That's a different issue.

9. Jon, The Elder

Jon, The Elder TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    As usual, well said Big Mike. If you ever NEED IS and do not have it, it is too late.....period.

10. Socrates

Socrates TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I just bought the Nikon 18-200 VR. Experimented with it last night. First time I ever had a twenty-pound lens on a camera!

11. Sarah23

Sarah23 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    yeah...I can definitely see if its a heavy lens why it would help!! Right now tho I am just looking into getting a Canon 75-300 f/4.5-5.6 and i can get it for about $400 cheaper without the IS. And being a beginner, I would rather get that cheaper one now and not spend the money, and later on when I get better and REALLY know what I want to do, get a better lens. Does that make sense?

12. MX962

MX962 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    just dont get the f/4-5.6 75-300 III what a pile O crud that one is