Image Storage

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by Bryant, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Bryant

Bryant TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I read another thread about how much memory you have stored. Well I only have about 2k pictures, but they take up about 40 gigs. Makes no sense. Do you all delete the ones you dont like?

I also don't understand about PS... Some of my pictures are upwards of 200-500mb. Does everyone leave the pictures in photoshop? After flattening, what do you do to make it smaller?

2. Dweller

Dweller Inconspicuous Supporter

Photos OK to edit
    Disk space is cheap. I save every single shot I have taken, even the "oops" shots. I figure they all have something I can learn from them and since you can get a Terrabyte of space for $100 now days I do not worry about how much space they are taking up.

3. *Mike*

*Mike* TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, it doesn't make sense to save everything unless you archive them well enough to be able to find what you want when you want it.

I'll typically save the RAW file, process it as a psd (working file only), and once it's all finished archive the hi-res jpg.

4. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It really depends if you're going to re-edit or not. I don't. I find editing is part of the original process and have never once grabbed an old photo and changed it other than to try something new I just read on the internet.

Given that there's no visual quality difference between a JPEG with maximum quality and a 16bit TIFF even on my expensive monitor and most definitely not on prints, I don't see any reason to keep the data I won't ever use. My largest picture is 98MB and it's a 237megapixel panorama. The rest are between 4-7mb depending on the amount of black and blue in the image which determines how well JPEG algorithms can compress.