Image transfers from negatives

bwahahaha!!! I'm a stealthy poster, aren't I? :lol:

Thank you for looking and for the kind words! :hug::

how could i miss this thread? :scratch:
they are great , terri!
im not sure, but they remind me of some japanese (sp?) art a bit-:), especially a second one...and i loove the colours - have you painted it?

i know nothing about the technique you used here...whats a 'daylab'? - I tried to google it in polish, but it showed me '0' results...-;(...looks like noone does it here-;)
is it something similar to your 'polaroid transfers'? cause im lost at the moment-:))

great work, terri! i love it!

is it something similar to your 'polaroid transfers'? cause im lost at the moment-)

Yes - that's exactly what it is. :) I used a different type of film, and more important - I used a film negative, instead of a slide, to get the image. A Daylab is a slide printer, that lets you take any 35mm slide and project the image onto Polaroid film, so you can do image transfers, emulsion lifts and other stuff. :)

I didn't paint the images, I let the strange colors remain from this film, and then colored in some areas with chalks (pastel pencils).

I'm so glad you like them, thank you! :D

does it mean that you can do 'transfers' only from polaroids?
i have never heard of this before i came here-:)(polaroid transfers), ive heard of some pepole trying to separate emulsion from paper with a usual pics, but nothing good came out of this, he he....strange...polaroid is not very popular here, i know nobody who uses it...im not even sure if you could buy polaroid stuff here....and i loove the tehnique , terri!im just curious if its possible to use it different way, not only with polaroid?

hmmmm.... Not that I've read about for things like image transfers or emulsion lifts - the only film emulsion formulas that seem to lend themselves to these techniques are Polaroid films. AND - only a certain type of Polaroid film, at that. (Generally speaking, the Polaroid films that end with a "9" are good bets for these processes - 669, 59, 79, and so on.)

You may not find Polaroid films in your area stores, but you could certainly buy them online if you got real curious. ;) You don't even need a Daylab to get started - you just look for the Polaroid camera that takes 669 film, for instance, as an inexpensive way to play with the technique. The Polaroid site has a "creative" section that details the basic steps for image transfers and emulsion lifts. They are easy to learn. What's fun is when you start to explore a little beyond the basics. :lol:

siv said:
wait, what'd you do to get this? you ripped open a polaroid picture and printed through it?
No....I mounted a regular 35mm film negative onto a carrier and put it in my slide printer (Daylab), and projected the negative image onto a 4x5 sheet of Polaroid film....THEN I did the image transfer, and colored it slightly with chalks. :)

An image "transfer" means you are literally transferring an image from one place to another. With certain peel-apart Polaroid films, the emulsion formulas happen to lend themselves very well for this technique. The myth is that it was discovered "by accident" in the Polaroid labs, where a technician peeled apart the film and slapped the negative upside down on a window sill or table. When it got pulled up later, the image had "transferred" from the negative to the surface. When Edwin Land found out his technicians were playing around with his formulas like this, he was not pleased. ;)

Don't know if it's true or not, but I love these old tales. :mrgreen:

There's only a few peel-apart films you can do this with, and Polaroid Corp has since learned to embrace the fact you can do it and artists love it and it sells film. :sillysmi: And the results can be really beautiful!!

There is some useful info here about image transfer and manipulation with Polaroid.
http://www.polaroid.com/global/deta...&bmLocale=en_GB
Yeah....I've looked at all that. I actually tend to disagree with Polaroid, as funny as that sounds, on some of the ways they've outlined techniques. There are a couple of instances where what they say is contradictory to their own creative consultants' advice, and for the beginner it's all confusing enough as it is. ;) I think it's ok for an overview, but anyone who is really interested would be well served to check out artists like Kathleen Thormod-Carr, Jill Enfield and the like.

What's noteworthy is that Polaroid now accepts and encourages artistic use of the films for these techniques. :thumbup: That wasn't always the case.

Most reactions

Back