Images in signatures? Yes/No/Maybe?

How should we handle images in signatures?

• Do nothing - things are ok the way they are

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Remove the option to have images in signatures

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Limit file size and/or physical image size

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • Other - post your suggestions in this thread

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Chase

I am now benign!
Reaction score
Website
www.thephotoforum.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I've been a little concerned lately with the number of people who have been using images in their signature lines and I'd like some general feedback regarding them. There are a couple of different issues here, so comments (in addition to voting) are appreciated.

The concerns I have are the physical size of the image (dimensions) and the file size (bytes). The physical size can be really distracting and there are some that are very close to the same size as some of the photos people are posting...that is extremely distracting. As far as file sizes go, many of use (maybe most) have high speed net access, but for those who don't, downloading a 50-100k signature image along with photos and other graphics can reallllllllllly slow things down.

What are your thoughts on how this should be handled?

Thanks!
Chase

im with chase on this.

i think some of these pictures are ridiculously large and need to be removed or made smaller.

my vote is to keep the option but make them tee tiny compared to what they are now.

md

I voted to limit the size. I don't mind images in the signatures but do feel they shouldn't compete with the photos.

Put a 20k limit on them - on the forum that I run, if people's sig graphic is too big, they get ribbed to death, they usually end up changing it, and if they don't then admin can simply remove it.

Normally this involves changing the avatar as well to something a bit cruel, but I wouldn't advocate that ;)

I voted to get rid of them because I don't feel it's fair on admins to have to chase people around.

Some are getting far too big in dimensions and file size. Signatures should not be bigger or distract from posts.

AlisonPower said:
I voted to limit the size. I don't mind images in the signatures but do feel they shouldn't compete with the photos.
Ditto. I voted to limit the size as well.

I also voted to limit the filesize, but I agree with Ferny. Unless you can phyiscally limit the dimensions and file size in the code, you'll still have to run around enforcing the rule. I would have no problem with getting rid of it altogether.

I would like to vote, but poll says I all already voted. ? But I have not.
Put me down for limiting size.

I voted for "Remove the option to have images in signatures"

Most reactions

New Topics

Back