images phothgraphy in light box turn bluish?

soundmun

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there and nice to be in this forum.
I photo small woodcrafts I make in a lightbox. recently I decided tou use led strips on the box with difusing paper to take my photos. I use a high lumens white LED. problem is obvious. pictures are blue and I tried my S7 and also canon elph 500 and still get this very blue photos. When I try tuning my white balance I still get a bluish photo.
r1n5n6.jpg
[/IMG] what is the nature of the problem and how can I fix it? I want to get white background pictures, not blue...
r1n5n6.jpg

23st0zb.jpg
23st0zb.jpg
[/IMG]

You need to set a custom white balance to match the colour temperature of the light used in the exposure.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Are you shooting RAW? What are your results with the tweaked white balance you are talking about?
The Problem with LED is: cheap lights often have low Color Rendering Index (CRI) making it really difficult to white balance.

Use a gray card to get spot on white balance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might be able to get it without a WB target. Here is my attempt: I tried to straighten it, but ran out of room.

r1n5n6 - Version 2.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum. Are you shooting RAW? What are your results with the tweaked white balance you are talking about?
The Problem with LED is: cheap lights often have low Color Rendering Index (CRI) making it really difficult to white balance.
With the tweaked WB I got the 2nd image which is abit less bluish... I use JPG

With the tweaked WB I got the 2nd image which is abit less bluish... I use JPG
Always shoot in RAW. That way you will be able to set the white balance afterwards without ever losing image quality.
A simple eyedropper tool to white balance on the white background should give you the best results.
The S7 does RAW from what I read.

Shoot RAW.

With JPEG you throw away about 99.9% of the room for corrections. Including most basic ones, like fixing white balance.

JPEG and most output devices have 8 Bit of room - RAW has 14 bit. Thats full 6 bit of values for setting a correct white balance, raising the shadows etc. Without these 6 extra bits, any correction instantly destroys the 8 bit of room of final data, quickly killing image quality.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you don't have raws, use levels and click the middle eyedropper and click on the white bg and adjust the black and white points.

Attachments

• r1n5n6.jpg
    r1n5n6.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 281
Thanks all for your replys. So if I get this right, there are 2 options either get 4000K +- led lights or pic it on raw and then adjust WB. My guess is better option one also beacuse I already made a light box ( ugly I know ) ready for the strips. ( as shown in the link )
If so do you know of a led strip on ebay preferably, which is neutral white?
another idea I have is to use yellow filter ( semi transparent acrylic paper ) to tint it yellow, will this work?
If I go RAW witll the pic be possible to adjust to a perfect white with no bluish tint?

https://goo.gl/photos/jeHr2vHRrpcWguya8
https://goo.gl/photos/8bD7c1ZXCeNXLnvS6

Thanks all for your replys. So if I get this right, there are 2 options either get 4000K +- led lights or pic it on raw and then adjust WB. My guess is better option one also beacuse I already made a light box ( ugly I know ) ready for the strips. ( as shown in the link )
If so do you know of a led strip on ebay preferably, which is neutral white?
another idea I have is to use yellow filter ( semi transparent acrylic paper ) to tint it yellow, will this work?
If I go RAW witll the pic be possible to adjust to a perfect white with no bluish tint?
Regardless of what lights, you should work with the Raw file anyway. Have only one type/make of lights, wherever you use them. (No other light in the room, including window light.) Include a white target or white background from which to judge the white balance. I don't know why you would want to tint the photo yellow.

Most reactions

Back