Images taken By police

Technically (again depending) they may have been able to confiscate it for evidence, but...

A "no" would have been fine. They ask you to leave... make a choice.

Let us know how it turns out! :)

As mentioned before, with some recovery software, you should be able to get your images back from the card.

I sent them the following commentary:

"I'm seriously concerned about an incident that I was told, where your security staff, and the police officer that was present, coerced a fellow photographer to delete his images from his camera before he could leave your arena parking lot. Apparently, there was no clear signage stating that still photography was not allowed. I can not find any relevant info on your website either.

I am appalled that your security staff and detail would engage in what is ultimately an illegal act - by law, no one, not even a police officer, can demand the destruction/deletion of a photographer's images, nor the confiscation of such without a court order.

Security and police detail, whether ignorant of the law or choosing arbitrarily to ignore it, must respect a photographer's rights at all times. This incident is, at best, an absolute embarrassment for your company.

Sincerely,

Gabriel Diaz
Gabriel J. Diaz Photography"

Last edited:
IF you are going to do something about this.

IANAL, That said.....

Right now you need to stop, shut-up and STOP posting any comments on the internet. Don't say ANYTHING to ANYONE until you talk to a lawyer.

IT WILL become part of your case and CAN be used to discredit you.

Take your video card and set it to the side and LEAVE IT ALONE. It's evidence for the lawyer to decide what to do with.

If nothing else, you might be able to recover images at a later date.

Civil law is based off "presumption of a reasonable person." NOT "beyond a reasonable doubt."

Google it if you need to understand the difference.

Thank you all for your replies and Thank You Gabriel for your time to write them.

Unless you have taken many photo on the card since you deleted them, some are recoverable. The delete on the cameras doesn't really delete the image it just makes them harder to get at. Check the internet, there are several photo recovery programs that will get the images back.

Find a lawyer and lay a charge against the police officer of "illegal search and seizure". There is also a police complaints board in most cities. I would file a complaint of illegal search and seizure there as well.

If you followed a police directive through intimidation that he had no right to give, then he is at fault. In the US it also means that he violated your civil rights.

skieur

Last edited:
wow, these days photographers are like skateboarders. but skateboarders get asked to leave because they destroy property. Photographers on the other hand dont do anything bad.

Fight the power! :peacesign: :peacemrgreen:

(sorry for the useless post btw.)

that not entirely true. and i would suggest you not single out skatebaorders like that as i find that offensive. seeing as i am a skateboarder. and you say photographers dont do anything bad... im sure that more than 95% of photographers on this site have broken the law of trespassing just to get a good shot or two. and im sure you have as well at least once

[...] or forces them to arrest you, in which case it's wrongful arrest and you would have a definite case against the arresting officer.

But you still have to spend the night (or weekend) in jail. That's why most people just comply...

Personally, I would have just told them "OK, I'll just leave then". If they didn't let me leave (with my pictures) I'm not sure what I would do.
If I didn't work where I work, I would probably make them arrest me.
But, since just getting arrested (guilty or not) would likely cause me to get fired - I would do everything I could to avoid that.

I am certainly no expert but it sounds to me that you would also have a case against your employer, or ex-employer as the case may be.

that [sic] not entirely true. and [sic] i [sic] would suggest you not single out skatebaorders [sic] like that as i [sic] find that offensive. seeing [sic] as i [sic] am a skateboarder. and [sic] you say photographers dont [sic] do anything bad... im [sic] sure that more than 95% of photographers on this site have broken the law of trespassing just to get a good shot or two. and [sic] im [sic] sure you have as well at least once [sic]
Your shift key and apostrophy keys don't seem to be working, you should get it checked out.

This statement "im [sic] sure that more than 95% of photographers on this site have broken the law of trespassing just to get a good shot or two.", lowers you right to the same level you were offended by.

wow! Where did that happen? It sounds more like Iran or Taliban controlled Afghanistan -.-

To the OP; sure you could have been arrested. COULD. No cop in his right mind is going to arrest you for failing to delete photographs of private property. Because they know they are in the wrong. He would have perhaps searched for your name in a database to see if there were any arrestable offenses and then let you off. Period. You can not be arrested for taking photographs. EVEN IF it stated that you do not have the right to do so by the PRIVATE PROPERTY. At BEST they can sue you civilly (which again they wouldn't). I would be very surprised to find an on the book civil ordinance granting private properties the power to make such arrestable laws such as the one you think the cop would have gotten you for. It's not about "photographers" rights - its about how laws work.

point for next time....

Just create a new folder in the camera and show the contents of that folder to them. What's the likelyhood someone would know?

that [sic] not entirely true. and [sic] i [sic] would suggest you not single out skatebaorders [sic] like that as i [sic] find that offensive. seeing [sic] as i [sic] am a skateboarder. and [sic] you say photographers dont [sic] do anything bad... im [sic] sure that more than 95% of photographers on this site have broken the law of trespassing just to get a good shot or two. and [sic] im [sic] sure you have as well at least once [sic]
Your shift key and apostrophy keys don't seem to be working, you should get it checked out.

This statement "im [sic] sure that more than 95% of photographers on this site have broken the law of trespassing just to get a good shot or two.", lowers you right to the same level you were offended by.
oh my i forgot the internet grammer police were on this forum, its the ****ing internet dude, get over it.. im not sending in an editorial to a newspaper...

Most reactions

Back