Images taken By police

Next time, just format the card in-camera. This only deletes the partition table, which effectively flags the files as "hide me". You can later restore them using any old freeware data recovery software.

Even better, keep an empty folder on the card. When asked to delete your pictures, just switch to the empty folder.

Or better still, look at any amateur magic site and learn to switch items. Memory cards are tiny compared to a fair number of the items closeup magicians learn to palm as one of the most basic parts of their routines, and it's easy to swap for a blank one, dropping the full one into a pocket. Format before they see the "no images on card" message, show them "format complete" and get out. In case they might watch you like a hawk, you could snap a couple of junk shots on the spare card, then switch to your "working" one for the good stuff. Then when confronted, make the switch, show them a couple of pictures clearly taken at the event, and format.

You can still fight it out later if you decide not to use the images, (claiming in court that they made you delete all the images could go badly if their lawyer notices your website has a lot of pics from the event) but having the images unharmed and them off your back leaves you to make that choice at your leisure.

Slight of hand is not something to be doing around a cop unless you want to end up face down on the concrete....or worse.

Interesting subject. As both a private venue security officer and a [ex] professional photographer, I've been on both sides of this story.

Last year at my site there was an accident and the closest security officer was dispatched to bring the few photogs at the scene to the security office to have their pix "reviewed."

I was not on duty that day, but I have real reservations about doing such a detention for review. I claim no rights to do such detentions and would have refused to take any such action.

-- I am not a lawyer. Taking my advice without reviewing your case with appropriate professionals may get you expensively fined or uncomfortably encarcerated.

FUUUUUU RAGE!!!!!!
I just read the whole thread then noticed its a week old!

but Ill post anyway.

There is a program called Recuva, if you haven't filled your card yet, you just may be able to retrieve them

the link is in my signature - great program and totally free!

Most reactions

Back