elrafo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
el-rafo.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi there,

I am about to buy a D700... I live in canada, Quebec, where taxes are pretty high even if photographers just can't earn a living ;)

D700 is 3,300 CAD +15% taxes : 3795 $, almost 4,000 CAD for the body only (3,680 USD) ...

as the price is too high in my opinion, I am thinking to buy an import model on ebay and I can save 1200 $ including shipping and insurance, but Is it ok to buy a model from Japan when you live in north america ?

They say they have a 3 years warranty in their store so I can send the cam back in case of a problem.
Can I trust them, even if they have a 99.5% positive feedback on ebay ?
I own a D200 and didn't have any problem for 3 years, the camera is still in perfect conditions...So no needs for repair, but who knows.

I am trying to save money but I don't want to be stucked in a bad situation, any advice from you will be considered! ;)

thanks

One thing to keep in mind is that if you buy from a US store (B&H, Adorama, etc) and import the camera into Canada you will still have to pay the PST and GST. On some products it still makes it cheaper but do the math before you order. I've bought a few things from B&H and even with the tax, shipping and exchange rate it was cheaper than if I'd bought it here in Canada.

Another option would be to buy from a place in Alberta (there's a discount shop in Calgary that has some good prices). By buying from them you would only have to pay GST (5%) and you would get a Canadian warranty on the camera.

There's my two cents (plus GST and QST)

David

I've been through this... and IMO it is not worth the savings...

You do know that Nikon Canada won't even SERVICE an import at your cost?

While the craftsmanship of Nikon products is generally high, this body is relatively unproven due to it's newness... if you don't got the money to begin with... then your risk is so much higher...

they say three year warranty in store japan... if something goes wrong the extra delay in shipping could cost you the difference in lost work alone...

and of course two months back you weren't even thinking about the D700.. it didn't exist so you didn't need it..

if you are a struggling pro you should be living off of used bodies... sell your D200 for $800 and pick up a used D300 with warranty and receipt for $1300... $500 out of your pocket and you are shooting with what everybody thought was the best mid range two months ago...

and in the future if you find yourself keeping busy and not hungry spend real money and buy a D3 and D700 for back up... this is the cost of doing business... A tradesman has to buy a $40,000 pick up truck just carry around $20,000 worth of tools and inventory.... we get off pretty light...

Dude! The Vermont border is 20 minutes away from the south shore!! ;)

how much do you think we can save on american models? I mean it is risky to cross border with a brand new cam and don't declare it no ? ;)

I've been through this... and IMO it is not worth the savings...

While the craftsmanship of Nikon products is generally high, this body is relatively unproven due to it's newness... if you don't got the money to begin with... then your risk is so much higher...

they say three year warranty in store japan... if something goes wrong the extra delay in shipping could cost you the difference in lost work alone...

and of course two months back you weren't even thinking about the D700.. it didn't exist so you didn't need it..

if you are a struggling pro you should be living off of used bodies... sell your D200 for $800 and pick up a used D300 with warranty and receipt for $1300... $500 out of your pocket and you are shooting with what everybody thought was the best mid range two months ago...

and in the future if you find yourself keeping busy and not hungry spend real money and buy a D3 and D700 for back up... this is the cost of doing business... A tradesman has to buy a $40,000 pick up truck just carry around $20,000 worth of tools and inventory.... we get off pretty light...

Hello, actually I have the money but I find it is ridiculous to spend a 600 $ in taxes and unfair price, but it is like that in quebec ... The step to D300 is not worth it for me, I need a bigger improvement on my pictures, but thanks for the warning about imported models, I needed to know and I am pretty sure now that I will avoid this.

cheers

That's not what Nikon Montreal (1 call) and Nikon Toronto (twice on 2 separate occaissions) told me. I have a few things from the US and they are fully warranteed. I sent in my 18-200 (labled as a gray market lens) just for verification, included my US receipt (I highlighted the US amounts and highlighted the Cdn shipping address in yellow) and photocopies of the registration card... and it came back all good with $0 costs, not even shipping was charged.

My 85mm F/1.4 goes for 1600+ taxes = ~$1850 at any of 3 local shops here in Montreal.

My 85mm F/1.4 came shipped to my door (shipping+GST+ PST) at exactly $1250Cdn. Thats $600 in my pocket with warranty from Nikon.

If in doubt, call Nikon Montreal (or wherever is local to you), yourself. I already paid 6 bucks in long distance calls to find out, and I am satisfied with what they told me.

BTW, I already have the budget for either 1 D3 or 2 D700s. I could go out and purchase them this afternoon, however, I decided to wait till after Christmas because that's traditionally when prices drop (and I still have not decided if I want to turn pro or not). I expect to save at least $100-200 per camera just by waiting a few extra months. In the meantime, I am still enjoying the heck out of my D200, it takes awesome pics.

Last edited:
you're right, D200 is awesome, but I need to change because of his noise in high Iso.
The only concern it that the price of our D200 drops every day, I would love to wait more but I am affraid it will sell arround 600$ after christmas... thinking to sell it now instead.

Yeah, Nikon has a massive bark and no bite at all. They say adamantly they won't service foreign purchases but then they actually do in all circumstances I've been in or heard of.

And in Ca. no biggy... just say you bought it on vacation or that you're on vacation in Ca. when it breaks and they'll take care of you.

I dunno Jerry... you've tried it and I haven't... so I guess you win... but this is on Nikon Canada's website and still not worth the risk to me..

http://www.nikon.ca/en/GreyMarket.aspx

Important Notice - Product Purchased Outside of Canada

As stated on Nikon Canada Inc.’s web site, www.nikon.ca, Nikon Digital Cameras purchased outside of Canada by a consumer, or a reseller, do not qualify for warranty service from Nikon Canada Inc.
Further, Nikon Canada Inc. will not accept for repair any Digital Cameras purchased outside of Canada by a consumer or reseller.
If you plan to purchase a Nikon Digital Camera from a source outside of Canada or from a reseller who has purchased from a source outside of Canada, it is important that you make your own warranty and repair service arrangements.

Hello, actually I have the money but I find it is ridiculous to spend a 600 $ in taxes and unfair price, but it is like that in quebec ... The step to D300 is not worth it for me, I need a bigger improvement on my pictures, but thanks for the warning about imported models, I needed to know and I am pretty sure now that I will avoid this.

cheers

common man... i know $600 is a lot in taxes.... but I bet it's a lot less than the undeclared income you;ve made from photography this year:sexywink:

I expect to save at least $100-200 per camera just by waiting a few extra months. In the meantime, I am still enjoying the heck out of my D200, it takes awesome pics.

well.. while you've been waiting to save $100 on a camera .... your d200 has dropped $300 in the last 8 weeks...:sexywink:

well.. while you've been waiting to save $100 on a camera .... your d200 has dropped $300 in the last 8 weeks...:sexywink:

I'm not selling the D200, it becomes a backup camera no matter what. It is worth more to me as a backup camera than a used camera to someone else. Besides, its as clean and works as well as the day I bought it. I have no intention of giving it away. ;)

Last edited:
you're right, D200 is awesome, but I need to change because of his noise in high Iso.
The only concern it that the price of our D200 drops every day, I would love to wait more but I am affraid it will sell arround 600$ after christmas... thinking to sell it now instead.

I doubt you will get much more than $600 now, but I suggest you work on the technique and post processing some... the D200 is no slouch, even though the new cameras are incredible.

ISO 800:
934142721_bfff63b46b.jpg

ISO 1250:
2754143003_56724bb8b8.jpg

Granted the new D700/D3 are good to ISO 6400, but I have no fears about pushing it to 1600 if I really need it, in which cases, it would have to be quite dark already at ISO 1600!

Most reactions

Back