import vs. usa

DeepSpring

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joshualights.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been looking at lenses recently and I keep seeing (at least on B&H where I have been) they have an imported lens and a USA one. The import is around $5 cheaper and I was wondering is there really a difference between the 2?

From what I have read...there is no real difference in the lenses. I don't believe that any major lenses are manufactured in the USA...so the only difference is the import process.

There may be some issues when it comes to the warranty. For example, Canon USA might not perform any warranty work on a 'grey market' lens...because it was not imported in accordance with Canon USA.

You should be able to find an explanation of the 'grey market' stuff on B&H...if not, just Google it...and you will find many explanations.

Same lens, different warranty. The import has a warranty from B&H (1 year I think) the USA will have the the US warranty, 5 years for Nikon.

In the case of Nikon, you need the U.S. warranty even if you want to pay Nikon USA to work on your camera. They won't work on it for pay or under warranty at all if it isn't one of theirs. I had to send an F5 to Japan once for service because it wasn't a Nikon USA unit. I can't tell you what the other manufacturers do but that's Nikon's policy.

I would never go with import vs the US version. To me being able to get my camera serviced and have it under warrenty is just too important for trying to save 5-50 bucks.

Thanks guys.

I got a Canon 50mm f/1.8 a few days ago, I chose the import cause it seemed no different to me. But know I know for more expensive lens' to go with the US

If you should experience a problem with a product sold with a USA warranty, it can be sent to any of the manufacturer’s worldwide authorized service facilities for servicing.
The "Imported" item would have to be returned to B&H for in-warranty attention.

Canon is not as much a deal as Nikon with Grey vs. USA. The ONLY difference is the warranty! I was once told by Focus Photo that the grey Nikon lenses have plastic mounts and USA have metal mounts. And it was highly recommended to upgrade to the USA lens. I hung up on the guy as I know this is not true. Of course the price they list are for grey lenses, they probably don't even stock. Just a bait and switch tatic. I now only buy from B&H or Adorama for new equipment. Too many sleeze bags trying to sell to people that dont know or pay attention.

Most reactions

Back