Important!

Thank God I use a Mac. I feel sorry for the Windows users that all get caught up in the likes of this as well as those just out to get Microsoft

Thank God I use a Mac. I feel sorry for the Windows users that all get caught up in the likes of this as well as those just out to get Microsoft

agreed. and what do you get for putting with such plagues... windows, that it! not exactly a consolation prize. More like the door prize that nobody wants

as a PC user, i've never had a virus that wasnt either stopped or fixed by my antivirus program. so dont feel TOO bad for us pc users. Also, I heard that macs were starting to get more viruses now too... and from what i've heard most of them were made by MAC USERS, so STOP IT FANGMAN! lol, but in all seriousness... that sucks... viruses suck.... why do we have to have viruses

as a PC user, i've never had a virus that wasnt either stopped or fixed by my antivirus program. so dont feel TOO bad for us pc users. Also, I heard that macs were starting to get more viruses now too... and from what i've heard most of them were made by MAC USERS, so STOP IT FANGMAN! lol, but in all seriousness... that sucks... viruses suck.... why do we have to have viruses

I agree. The only time I had a virus do anything was when I got a CMOS clearing virus like 10 years ago. I was 8...obvs I didn't know what was up.

On this computer, I've never had anything major....it's smart browsing and downloading (mostly).
My Mac is obvs still ok...but I wouldn't doubt it if viruses become an issue with OS X soon.

I think the biggest thing is, why would someone make a virus for macs and hit less people , when they could make it for PC (the one who by far, outsells macs) and hit the majority of the people? I'm not saying macs or bad, if it sounded like that or anything, but the facts are, PCs are still used by the majority of users, so thats who people will target the viruses towards... now if a disgruntled windows user made a Mac virus... i could see that happening...

As I see it there are, broadly speaking, two kinds of virus writer: the teenager doing computer studies who wants to be a rebel, and people with criminal intentions.
In both cases they go for PCs because they run Widows which is written in an easy to learn programming code and has the ability to auto-execute the right program without the operator being aware.
Macs now use Unix, a very robust language, and the programming requires user permission before executing anything that will alter this programming.
Getting around it is no easy task so I doubt that anyone will go to the effort of trying it when they can, for virtually no effort, screw up a PC and get far greater returns.
When all PC users finally see the error of their ways and get a Mac, then we might have a problem. But it ain't going to happen ;)

Sorry to wander off the main topic of Mac vs PC for a moment, but as well as the free Scandoo for checking the results of Google and Yahoo searches (as mentioned in the original ScanSafe blog that the BBC article was condensed from) there is also free anti-rootkit software such as AVG Anti-Rootkit Free.

Best,
Helen

I wasn't putting a down on Windows users, each to their own, but feeling sorry for them in having the number of bone heads out there who want to cause mischief.

Likewise. I was just flagging up a hazard that other computer users might not be aware of.

But you have to admit that Macs are far sexier than any PC :lol:

But you have to admit that Macs are far sexier than any PC :lol:

I can't disagree with that. I made a huge amount of money making sexy ads for the iMac when it came out. Who cares what it does, sell the image.

If you want to have sex with your computer, then by all means buy a Mac.

(Blondie song comes to mind)

Best,
Helen

I used to be attacked by spam and viruses all the time. I discovered that it was because my e-mail address showed up on google and that provided the server also which I do not think was very well protected.

I changed to web e-mail, a different ISO that has great security, two hardware firewalls and one software firewall and have not been bothered since by either spam or viruses and before you ask it was not a costly solution at all.

skieur

Most reactions

Back