Imported and US made Canon EF Lens

danalec99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Other than the price, is there a difference in the technical/quality area between imported and US made Canon EF Lenses??[/b]

danalec99 said:
Other than the price, is there a difference in the technical/quality area between imported and US made Canon EF Lenses??[/b]

No difference in quality. Technical - occasionally different option maybe available. I don’t think any of the current models have differents. But I have read that pass models did. The big different is packaging and manual

Sorry Mark but I have Canon import and USA lens and they have the same warranty. The same is also true with Sigma. The warranty issue varies for each manufacturer

Also the better dealer that sale import equipment will cover the warranty

I do not know about the grey market. B&H has both imported and US made lenses. Are those imported lenses part of the grey world??

The big different is packaging and manual

Does that play a vital role when one shops for lens??

Jeff Canes said:
Sorry Mark but I have Canon import and USA lens and they have the same warranty.
Everything I've seen says that you aren't covered by Canon USA. The length and terms are the same, but if you didn't buy it in the USA, Canon USA will not touch it without paying them. You have to go to deal with the support group that the lens was intended for, like Canon Japan if you bought a lens intended for sale in Japan.

Do you have info that contradicts this? If so, that would be great, as the warranty is the only reason to pay the higher USA prices.

From my understanding this is why they do this with the warranty: to prevent people from undercutting local sales. It's like DVD region codes.

danalec99 said:
I do not know about the grey market. B&H has both imported and US made lenses. Are those imported lenses part of the grey world??
Imports are considered "grey". It's not black market, as it's not illegal, but it is an attempt to get around the local pricing structures.

Most reactions

Back