Importing RAW format into PSE 4.0?

~Stella~

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Put here because I have no idea what I'm doing. Clearly.

OK, I have imported the files into a folder in the computer - I took raw + jpeg. From the folder, I can import the jpeg just fine but the PSE organizer is telling me the raw is not a recognized file type or is damaged (which seems unlikely)

Alternately, I tried to import via the editor and it does recognize the file, but before it will let me proceed with opening the file, it wants information such as the dimensions of the image in pixels and there's an option to put in info for channels and a header, which may or may not be optional. I have no idea how big the thing is in pixels. So here, I am stumped.

The adobe site isn't much help - looks like importing raw is not an uncommon subject but I didn't find anything to match what I think I need.

Is there a simple solution to this? Thanks for any assistance.

What kind of camera? I don't have the perfect answer, but I had just gone through this on another thread. The answer I got is that the RAW files are proprietary and you need the software from the camera manufacturer to make sense of them.

I'm not sure that RAW files are compatible with Elements...not version 4.0 anyway.

Photoshop (the full version) has a sub program called 'Adobe Camera RAW' which is what it uses to open (convert) RAW images. Each new camera is different and needs a new version of Adobe Camera RAW (ARC). So every few months or so, there is a new version of ARC that you can download from Adobe.

If PSE 4.0 does have ACR, then you would need to download the latest version of ACR, which would allow you to open your RAW files.

If PSE 4.0 does not work with ACR...then you would need to use another program to open/convert the RAW files. Your camera would have come with software for this.

OK - yay. I think since the editing part seemed to recognize the format that there's a way to do it. I did see the ADC download but wasn't sure what to do with it. :blushing:

My camera (Panasonic FZ50k - specs here: http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=PANDMCFZ50BK ) is not listed under the camera list on the Adobe site, but other Panasonics are.

I will dig out the manual, too...perhaps should have started with that to begin with.

Do later versions of PSE handle raw better? I have no problem upgrading if need be.

Many thanks to both of you for your responses.

Do later versions of PSE handle raw better?
I don't know if it's any better with newer versions of Elements...because it's ACR that handles RAW...so a newer version of ACR would probably be better or at least include more cameras.

There are other programs that handle RAW better than ACR. Especially if you are working with a lot of photos at once. Adobe Lightroom is probably one of the best. There are others like Capture One etc.

Lightroom is amazing for Raw, especially large amounts of RAW. You can do batch work, which is great. You can export batches (jpeg, tiff, psd, etc). It also lets you do a lot of editing right there in lightroom without damaging your files...it's awesome stuff. Even has a library to view them, built in slideshow, and a way to backup easily.

Most reactions

Back