importing to europe from B&H

cactus waltz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well, what I can say. To european eyes, the prices at an american online store are very tempting. I am much concidering getting a 20D from B&H - even with the shipping cost, it'll be around the market price for a D70 here.

What are your experiences when it comes to ordering equipment from across the pond? Should I go for it? It sure is a money-saver, though I don't even know if the camera is fully compatible with our electronics.

People keep talking about this country called Europe :confused: which European nation are you in? In any case, don't forget you won't just have to worry about the shipping cost but also import duties and various other methods your government will use to rob you :irked: oh and do you want the risk of either not having a valid warranty or having to post it back to the US (and pay all those shipping costs again) if something goes wrong?

It depends on where you are.

Here (England) it's not too much of a problem. You just need to buy and adaptor or a new plug for it as far as I know. Canon could get very bitchy and say that your warrantee isn't worth the paper it isn't written on though. I have seen discussions on that but can't think of any to point you to directly. So I can't give any firm info there.

Over here Customs pick imported parcels out at random. If they find one which contains an item they know has been bought from abroad they'll send you a letter telling you that you owe the government some money. How much depends on what it is and how much the item cost you, I think.

Like I said, I don't know where abouts in Europe you are so I can't help a lot. Do check your government's websites for info and phone them if you have any questions. It's always best to get firm facts from the horses mouth, so to speak.

edit - Once again ZaphodB shows he's a much faster typer than me. :oops: :lol:

ZaphodB said:
People keep talking about this country called Europe :confused: which European nation are you in? In any case, don't forget you won't just have to worry about the shipping cost but also import duties and various other methods your government will use to rob you :irked: oh and do you want the risk of either not having a valid warranty or having to post it back to the US (and pay all those shipping costs again) if something goes wrong?

I'm in Sweden.

Yeah, I suppose the lack of a warranty is what concerns me the most, though I figured I could have the camera fixed at a Canon retailer should anything happen. Even with a standard repair cost it would be a motivated purchase.

*e* From what I've heard, the customs usually take any parcel that weighs over 2 kilos and the cost for releasing it is about 20 euro. Not too much.

ferny said:
Once again ZaphodB shows he's a much faster typer than me. :oops: :lol:

Remember to cover the keyboard when you type... have you found the hidden camera yet? :twisted:

Most reactions

Back