Imposing a limit before users may post links

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been noticing more and more posts recently where the OP is a new member (often only one post) in which they discuess some aspect of their own work or just introduce themselves and then point people directly to a website or blog.

The problem is that many of these people never again repost to TPF - they are essentially just using the post to drive traffic to their website. In addition this view is something that I feel is held by many and thus it creates a bad air for a new poster who's intent is not to simply drive up their post count and who (prior to being jumped on about the above) was looking to be a contributing member of the site.

Thus would it not be an idea to impose a limit (say 15 posts or something in that region) and maybe a time limit (do pms still have the post count and time limit hack in effect?) before they can post a link in a thread or through their siganture.

I agree, and I disagree.

I believe a member should have a posting limit or time limit prior to selling something. I believe this area creates the most potential for harm to the members of the forum.

As for posting a link, I find links very helpful. As a new member, I am still learning, and therefore, I do not have a lot of information to give, however, I may know of a video or website that provides relevant information and I put these in my posts as links to try to contribute.

Also, how do these posts actually harm anyone. Someone may actually find that blog or website relevant or interesting. Myself, I enjoy reading critiques of other people’s images even if they only post once. Someone giving a critique to a member who stays around for one post (just to drive traffic to their site) should not feel their critique was given in vain. Others are reading that critique and gaining valuable information from it even if it's not the original poster.

Thanks, Ralph

True I can agree with many of your points, but I don't like the idea that TPF starts to become simply an advertising spot for people keen to just send traffic to their website. A forum is about a community with a common interest and as such that should be the "end goal" .

This is why I dislike what these early post links create the feeling of - since those that come to advertise never return to contribute whilst those that might intend to at first get a frosty responce from existing members because they just see it as "yet another person advertising their website".
Thus if the feature is removed for a limited time/post period it at least helps to discourage those who do want to simply advertise whilst also removing/reducing the frosty/harsh responces from appearing toward legitiamte new members of the site. (since they can no longer be accused of simply fishing for clicks).

Last edited:
True I can agree with many of your points, but I don't like the idea that TPF starts to become simply an advertising spot for people keen to just send traffic to their website. A forum is about a community with a common interest and as such that should be the "end goal" .

This is why I dislike what these early post links create the feeling of - since those that come to advertise never return to contribute whilst those that might intend to at first get a frosty responce from existing members because they just see it as "yet another person advertising their website".
Thus if the feature is removed for a limited time/post period it at least helps to discourage those who do want to simply advertise whilst also removing/reducing the frosty/harsh responces from appearing toward legitiamte new members of the site. (since they can no longer be accused of simply fishing for clicks).

I see your point. As much as I hate restrictions, those put in place for the greater good of everyone, have a place. That being said, I guess I can't disagree with the value of such restrictions given the "big picture".

Thanks, Ralph

>SNIP>

In today's internet world, a forum is often not much of a community in the traditional sense of the world 'community'. Today's internet forum is treated much like a reference librarian or the new for-pay answer-providing services like KGB. Punch in a question, and wait for information and responses, then disappear. That's what many people think a forum is for.

It'd be okay with me if there were a minimum post requirement instituted before allowing posting of items for trade or sale or desire to buy; this is not eBay or Craigslist. As far as those who do first-time posts with a ,"Visit my web site and come back here and tell me what you think," honestly, those people have very little right to expect anything in the way of C&C, and frankly, it's been my experience that people with that little verbal or writing ability or motivation to communicate have very little to offer a forum;stated another way--- those who post one-sentence quips have little to offer, and requiring 10 or 15 or 25 similar meaningless posts will add little value to this forum. The current system, largely ignoring those who come searching for little more than web traffic, seems to work just fine. As for 1-post sellers of equipment,and 1-post "buyers" of equipment---that's a red flag situation to me.

There are always ways around putting direct links in a forum. Simply leaving out certain parts of the address or what not.

I do like the basic of the idea though. Having people contribute more to the site before actually posting things. But then, what will these people contribute? Probably add to the "Great shot!" comments to random pictures until their post count is up.

This is what is called "Blog Pimping" and when I registered here on TPF was disallowed as per the TOS. Now I haven't registered here in a wile so things may have changed but as far as I am concerned it's in violation of the TOS and not permissible.

I agree, on no off site link in post body for users under set number of posts.

Signatures however are a different story and should not be restricted in such a manor.

Signatures however are a very easy way to get around a link posting limitation and thus anyone who just wants to advertise for links to their site will often throw a link in their sig as well as in their advertising post. Thus I feel that the limitation need to be held over the signature as well as the post otherwise its too easy to get around it.
Granted there are ways of getting around it - adding the website to the persons website link in their profile or just writing the link in plain text and hoping people copy/paste to view - however such methods have already drastically reduced the number of views they will get from TPF.

As for what people contribute we honestly can't force them to post what we would like and yes it might jus be that they post some light encouraging comments in the galleries and have it at that. However the more a person interacts with a site the more chance there is that they might see some worth in being a member more so rather than if they just register - post their ad - and then leave. Only checking back to see if their ad has attracted any interesting posts (most times though it will - as I said - only attract frosty and snarky responces thus no chance of that member making much of a return).

Derral - yep I fully agree that the trade section should be more restricted and its something that has been raised time and again by members. As for the "todays forum part" I don't think its much to do with todays forums as much as its just that TPF has very good google listings - a good webaddress and thus attrats a lot of traffic - so onepost questioners are just more common here.

I also like the idea. I feel taken advantage of when people just use the forum to advertise their site. I like the idea of having to bring some value to the forum before you can use it to promote yourself or your site.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back