limr

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
moderndinosaur.wordpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A few weeks ago, even before reading about the demise of the Fujifilm FP-100C, I'd gotten some Impossible Project film to give it another go in my SX-70. My first pack was disappointing, but I thought I'd get a frog tongue and try it again. I'm glad I did.

Reading nook
by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Not only does the frog tongue make a difference, but in my research to get some tips about using the film, I found out that I can do emulsion lifts with it! I was so excited that I immediately dug out the shots from my first pack, all of which were overexposed and some of which were just totally blurred as well. I lifted the emulsion onto some painted canvas squares, and it felt sooooo good!
smiley.gif

I know I still have a stash of the FP-100C and there are more boxes coming my way, but I am still absolutely gutted at losing my beloved peel-apart. I love regular film, but there is something about instant that just makes my heart sing. I think it's because the frustrated artist in me was only partly satisfied with regular roll film. Once I learned how to do emulsion lifts, however, it felt like I'd finally found a medium through which I could really express myself, and the tactile, physical nature of the work after taking the shot was so satisfying to me. Knowing that I can use the IP film in this way at least eases a little bit of the pain.

this is quite romantic picture.

Wow - that is lovely! Much improved from my experiences with IP films (and I've tried several). Maybe the answer IS getting the frog tongue.

Your post hits home, sister. I was so gutted when Polaroid died, I just boxed up my Daylab and turned my attention to other alt processes. What you wrote about using the instant film for the lifts reminds me of how in love with the various Polaroid films I was, and the fun I had learning, experimenting, and the exhilarating feeling of control over results that still had their say in the outcome. Only other alt artists can relate to the feeling of "just getting started" once you held a minty-fresh instant photo in your hands. ahhhh.... :586:

Well, apparently I let my grieving process outrun the availability of Fuji film, if that's the last of the breed that can be manipulated from Fuji. ;) I'm happy to know IP is still there and this is a nice wake-up call to get off my butt and make use of what's available. So thanks, Lenny!

this is quite romantic picture.

Thanks! That's what I always liked about the IP pictures I'd seen - there was something about the color and light rendering that really conveyed emotion well, and that is something I strive for in my own work, regardless of medium.

Wow - that is lovely! Much improved from my experiences with IP films (and I've tried several). Maybe the answer IS getting the frog tongue.

Thank you! The tongue definitely helps, as does knowing that the film seems to be faster than it's rated (160) so turning the dial halfway into the Darken side also helped a lot.

Your post hits home, sister. I was so gutted when Polaroid died, I just boxed up my Daylab and turned my attention to other alt processes. What you wrote about using the instant film for the lifts reminds me of how in love with the various Polaroid films I was, and the fun I had learning, experimenting, and the exhilarating feeling of control over results that still had their say in the outcome. Only other alt artists can relate to the feeling of "just getting started" once you held a minty-fresh instant photo in your hands. ahhhh.... :586:

Well, apparently I let my grieving process outrun the availability of Fuji film, if that's the last of the breed that can be manipulated from Fuji. ;) I'm happy to know IP is still there and this is a nice wake-up call to get off my butt and make use of what's available. So thanks, Lenny!

Yes, exactly! That feeling is so exciting! :trink39:

It's definitely the last from Fuji that allows us to have any fun with alt processes. I tried to do a bunch of stuff to the Instax prints, but they are of no use other than being pretty prints. I mean, the colors are great and it can be fun to just play with that, but there's no option for alternative stuff other than possibly print collages.

At the end of a long day of grief, this particular photo offers unique glimpse of remembrance. It reminds me of sitting with Grandma and taking in her recollection of her experience in life, the wonders of advance, her perspective on relationships, the struggles with depression era. The keen insight of her awareness of how it translated today is all omnipotent in your photo. Thank you for creating this. You truly are an important artist.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I really like this a lot. It has a very nice mood to it, one of those photos that just speaks to a person.

Stunning. Like letting the film do the work rather than me bashing color channels and curves.

Quite lovely serene peaceful scene of days gone by. Love this!

It has a very 'Crazy Cat Lady' vibe to it! ;)

Even more with an actual cat in it ;)
Reading nook with Zelda.jpg

At the end of a long day of grief, this particular photo offers unique glimpse of remembrance. It reminds me of sitting with Grandma and taking in her recollection of her experience in life, the wonders of advance, her perspective on relationships, the struggles with depression era. The keen insight of her awareness of how it translated today is all omnipotent in your photo. Thank you for creating this. You truly are an important artist.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I don't even know what to say! I'm honored that you took meaning and comfort in this image, and your kind words mean a lot to me. :icon_hug:

I really like this a lot. It has a very nice mood to it, one of those photos that just speaks to a person.

Stunning. Like letting the film do the work rather than me bashing color channels and curves.

Quite lovely serene peaceful scene of days gone by. Love this!

Thanks so much, Carol, cgw, and annamaria! I appreciate what you all saw in this image.

Can you explain a bit more about what the frog tongue does? Is it like the old "cold weather developing clip" from older pack film Polaroid film?

Can you explain a bit more about what the frog tongue does? Is it like the old "cold weather developing clip" from older pack film Polaroid film?

The frog tongue isn't about temperature but rather about light. IP film is still quite sensitive to light when it shoots out the front of the camera, especially in the first 10 seconds. Even grabbing it immediately to put it face down or in a pocket or bag can be too much exposure. The frog tongue is a sheet of thin black plastic that is rolled against the opening (open part of the curl facing down.) When the print comes out of the camera, it catches the open side of the rolled plastic which unfurls as the print pushes it out. In this way, it acts essentially as a dark slide for the print and shields it from the light for those first important seconds. Then it's easier to grab the print and immediately shield it from the light for the rest of its development (for color IP film, it's about 45 minutes.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back