Imprinting Name on Portraits

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by BlackDog's, Sep 29, 2005.

1. BlackDog's

BlackDog's TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    For those of you who do Portraits professionally, do you imprint your name on the front of any final prints? (Like Olin Mills - see their website for example. http://www.olanmills.com/) I hear many opinions. Some think this is tacky and others feel this is their right and helps protect/guard there copyright. Just wondering what the thoughts are around here.

Some I’ve seen opt for a signature stamp on the backside of the print which to me looks cheap. I personally think it looks more professional if it is neatly done on the front bottom corner in gold or silver. I know some professionals have been doing this for years - you see it on nearly every professional Senior Portrait (but not all).

What’s your thoughts?

Also - If you do imprint, who do you have imprint your name/company name on the corner of the wallet size (usually seen in gold for color portraits or silver for B&W portraits)? Do you do it yourself using a special tool or do you have the processing lab do this?

2. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I stamp the back of enlargements ( larger than 4"x6" ) with my information (including copyright), and if the print is matted I will sign the mat below one of the bottom corners of the photo in light pencil. I do date and sign my hand printed gelatin silver prints on the back of the photo.

I've never liked the way big, bold signatures look when scrawled on a photo. For me it detracts from the image, and turns the photograph into an advertisement. That may be fine for some situations, but I don't think it's appropriate for hanging on the wall in my client's home.

I spend a lot of time looking at photographs, and I can tell my opinion on this matter is in the minority. :)

3. aussiemummy

aussiemummy TPF Noob!

when showing clients proofs online, or via cd, then i will always have my logo on the front of the photos. However once they are printed i usually just sign the back with the date of printing, my name and a little copyright symbol.
    i also think that signing the front of the photo is a bit silly, and often distracts from the image.

4. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

I used to put a copyright notice on the front of all the digital images going onto my website, but in the end, it became a lot of work, and if someone really wants to swipe an image, digital editing technology is easy enough in today's world that just about any kind of imprint on a photo can be quickly and easily removed. So in the interests of faster updates to my website, and an overall more laissaiz-faire attitude, I don't usually do a visible copyright on my digital files any longer.

When I make prints for clients, likewise I don't put notices on the print itself. If I do a more artistic framed&matted image, I'll lightly sign the mat in pencil with the year, then will sign the back of the print as well.