Improve Your Pictures and Sell At a Higher Price

Jenita

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
A picture is worth a thousand words. Nowhere else is that more true than on eBay! For example, recently two cuckoo clocks sold on eBay. One had a nice clear picture. The other had a fuzzy picture with a dark contrasting background. The two clocks sold for vastly different prices. Can you guess which one sold for more money? Of course - the one with the nice picture! It sold for nearly double the price of the other clock. Which clock was the better clock? I'll never know. All I know is the owner of the clock fetching the higher price had a much better picture!

Here are five ways you can improve your pictures and sell your goods at a much better price on eBay:

1) Use an uncluttered background.

I saw a picture of another cuckoo clock almost lost in its surroundings - with a small tree next to it and a wood grained panel on the other side. Below it was something that looked like a bat (no kidding!) hanging from the chains to this clock. I couldn't tell what was on the clock face - since the clock was kind of in the distance. The seller of this clock could have improved the picture by moving the clock to a plain background! Set it on a white sheet or a white wall and take a picture of the clock - filling the picture frame with the clock. The seller is not selling the tree - is not selling the wood paneling - is not selling the "bat"-looking thing. So why even include them in the picture? Which takes me to way No.2 to improve your pictures.

2) Fill the picture frame with the product.

I don't know why people are afraid to get up close to the product. Why hide it in the distance? People want to see it up close and personal! For example, they want to see the detail of the cuckoo clock. In a close-up shot of the clock (that filled the frame with the clock), I could see the figures (three men) who come out to dance when the clock "cuckoos". I could clearly see the clock face. And I could see the detail of the wood grain. This clock was of superior craftsmanship - I could tell it from the picture! This was the clock that I would have purchased. And yes, I would have paid more money - because I could see it was a better quality product. Some of the other clock pictures didn't show me this kind of detail! Buyers don't like to gamble with their money. They want to be sure they're getting something good!

3) Avoid a Fuzzy Image

Some pictures are out of focus. It's hard to tell from these pictures what the product really looks like. My digital camera was a little more expensive when I bought it - but I wanted to be sure it would take quality close up pictures of my products. This "close-up" feature in my camera pays for itself over and over again with each product picture I take - avoiding fuzzy, out-of-focus images. If you can't see the detail in the product - again you're not sure what you're getting. The buyer doesn't want to gamble with his or her money! Move in as close as you can - filling the frame with your product as much as possible - with as sharp of focus as possible on the product! :smileys:

Can't fool me... that's only Three! :lmao:

Good advise. Better pictures, will sell a product for more money. You can even do something as simple as place things on a white towel to avoid a distracting background. Or if the item is light use some contrasting background.

I still use my old Mavica 7 (640x480) for some items, and the pictures are just fine. It doesn't have to be huge and high resolution, just sharp and clean... just like you wrote.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Nowhere else is that more true than on eBay! For example, recently two cuckoo clocks sold on eBay. One had a nice clear picture. The other had a fuzzy picture with a dark contrasting background. The two clocks sold for vastly different prices. Can you guess which one sold for more money? Of course - the one with the nice picture! It sold for nearly double the price of the other clock. Which clock was the better clock? I'll never know. All I know is the owner of the clock fetching the higher price had a much better picture!

Here are five ways you can improve your pictures and sell your goods at a much better price on eBay:

1) Use an uncluttered background.

I saw a picture of another cuckoo clock almost lost in its surroundings - with a small tree next to it and a wood grained panel on the other side. Below it was something that looked like a bat (no kidding!) hanging from the chains to this clock. I couldn't tell what was on the clock face - since the clock was kind of in the distance. The seller of this clock could have improved the picture by moving the clock to a plain background! Set it on a white sheet or a white wall and take a picture of the clock - filling the picture frame with the clock. The seller is not selling the tree - is not selling the wood paneling - is not selling the "bat"-looking thing. So why even include them in the picture? Which takes me to way No.2 to improve your pictures.

2) Fill the picture frame with the product.

I don't know why people are afraid to get up close to the product. Why hide it in the distance? People want to see it up close and personal! For example, they want to see the detail of the cuckoo clock. In a close-up shot of the clock (that filled the frame with the clock), I could see the figures (three men) who come out to dance when the clock "cuckoos". I could clearly see the clock face. And I could see the detail of the wood grain. This clock was of superior craftsmanship - I could tell it from the picture! This was the clock that I would have purchased. And yes, I would have paid more money - because I could see it was a better quality product. Some of the other clock pictures didn't show me this kind of detail! Buyers don't like to gamble with their money. They want to be sure they're getting something good!

3) Avoid a Fuzzy Image

Some pictures are out of focus. It's hard to tell from these pictures what the product really looks like. My digital camera was a little more expensive when I bought it - but I wanted to be sure it would take quality close up pictures of my products. This "close-up" feature in my camera pays for itself over and over again with each product picture I take - avoiding fuzzy, out-of-focus images. If you can't see the detail in the product - again you're not sure what you're getting. The buyer doesn't want to gamble with his or her money! Move in as close as you can - filling the frame with your product as much as possible - with as sharp of focus as possible on the product! :smileys:

Most reactions

Back