Improving this shot: camera upgrade

jcm55

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I woke up at 5 am on Monday morning to catch an early flight. Now normally we have a pretty nice view out the back of our house, but the view that morning was really jawdropping. So I grabbed the only camera I own -- a Canon PowerShot S60, and a little tripod and took this photo:

IMG_1661.JPG
IMG_1661.JPG
IMG_1661.JPG
IMG_1661.JPG

I set the S60 to f/2.8 and 15 second exposure -- the max values allowed by that camera. And the shots were still way dark. The image above is after major adjustment with iPhoto. I am glad I had the opportunity to capture the fog sitting low in the valley like that, but I'm not all that satisfied with the end result. And this is the Nth time that I've wished for a better camera, so time to do something about it.

So I want to move to a DSLR. My budget is not unlimited, but I don't want to skimp either. Night shots and other low light situations are definitely high on my priority list. Another instance where I've wished for a better camera is trying to photograph the aurora borealis (northern lights) at my parents' house in northern Wisconsin. But of course I'd like to be able to use it for everyday stuff too, like baby photos, landscapes, etc.

Hoping you kind folks can give me some recommendations on DSLR bodies and maybe 2 lens recommendations for the situations I've described above.

Thanks!

BTW, for those of you who know the area, our view looks northeast toward Orinda/Walnut Creek from above the Caldecott Tunnel east entrance. The headlight streaks you can make out through the fog are from cars on Hwy 24 down below.

Wow, I really like that pic.

I've found a good starter DSLR is the canon xti or 30d. The avid photographers are replacing them with the xsi or 40d so the prices on a used setup is getting alot better.

Hoping you kind folks can give me some... lens recommendations...

As for your first lens, I would highly recommend the 50mm f/1.8. Whether you buy a Canon or a Nikon, you will love this lens in either version. The Canon/Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 (aka Nifty Fifty) is the best lens you could ever buy for your camera at around $100 or less.

BTW, for those of you who know the area, our view looks northeast toward Orinda/Walnut Creek from above the Caldecott Tunnel east entrance. The headlight streaks you can make out through the fog are from cars on Hwy 24 down below.

I'm just on the other side of the Bay in Foster City... Now the shot seems much cooler since I know where it is! :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back