Improvised softbox C&C

raptorman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit

The left ones are with the "softbox", the right ones without. Did the "softbox" result in better pictures in your opinions? I'd also like some feedback on the white balance of the pictures on the left. Thanks!

Your softbox shots are underexposed but the lighting is definitely softer. Remember that you lose at least 1 stop of light through the diffusion of the softbox. The WB is a bit blue on the softbox images, the direct flash on the watch looks a tad underexposed too causing the WB to look off as well. The last shot looks good though. What WB settings are you using for these?

They definitely look better than the versions on the right. However, by simply bumping up the exposure, not only will your product look better, but so will your background. It is a bit grey, but you can fix that in post processing.

A softbox will always give you a softer more diffused lighting. It is my preferred light for studio work. I set my exposure using an incident light meter at the subject and reading the light source (softbox). Set the exposure on the camera in M (Manual) mode. Of course set W/B to Flash.

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't use a flash on any of these pictures, it's probably that my light source was too close in the right pictures. I used manual white balance on the left pictures, and used the same settings for the right ones, realising too late that my light conditions changed and thus my white balance would be bad. I redid the watch picture with a longer shutter time and I think it's better now:

I agree the last post looks the best. Nice shots.

Newb question time - what's a softbox?

This is a softbox. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the OP is actually using a light tent not a softbox?

D'oh, now I can see why everyone thought I was using a flash. English isn't my first language and I thought that a box where you put an object in to get softer light on your object, was a softbox.

D'oh, now I can see why everyone thought I was using a flash. English isn't my first language and I thought that a box where you put an object in to get softer light on your object, was a softbox.

Well technically it is more of a box than a softbox is so I dont blame you!

Most reactions

Back