Improvising flash diffuser?

Don Simon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm planning to take some nighttime people shots after having bought some Fuji 800 and 1600-speed films, and am planning to use fill-in flash after receiving some helpful advice on the subject here (thanks again by the way!) The problem is that I have old flashes - a Vivitar 550fd and a Cobra MD210 - without bounce or swivel (they only rotate up and down) so i I'm limited to on-camera flash pointed in the same direction as the lens, I figure I'll need at least a diffuser. I don't actually have the diffuser caps for these flashes, and am wondering what is the best way to improvise? I imagine a small piece of Kleenex or something similar over the flash could work, although it wouldn't be particularly reliable and would probably get ripped to pieces moving around inside the bag. Does anyone know of a better solution for softening the flash? Thanks!

ferny said:
Tissues (as you said), tracing paper, cigarette papers, the clear top of a Pringles can.

A solution and a reason to buy Pringles - brilliant! Thanks ferny :mrgreen: But this only works with sour cream flavour, right? :mrgreen: Thanks for the suggestions guys

Any piece of flexible, frosted plastic can be attached with a rubber band, or velcro. You can get stick-on velcro at hobby or sewing stores. I always carry extra velcro in my camera bag; you never know when you'll need to attach something.

One thing to consider is that although something improvised may appear color neutral, it may actually have a color cast. Easy to deal with for digital; may be more problematic for film.

Most reactions

Back