In a tough spot, need advice on upgrading!

Tyler Durden

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As of right now I’m shooting with the XS with the stock lens. I don’t plan on becoming a professional but would like to improve my skills being that I see this turning into a lifelong hobby.

My question is this. Would it be advisable to upgrade to the Canon EF 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Zoom Lens with the XS body or would it be a better idea to just upgrade to the 40D body with this lens used stock. I bought my canon XS for $400 and could sell it for $400 being I’m in South America at the moment and could buy a used EF 28-135 for about $200 used. I have also found used 40D’s for around $800. Math comes to this;

Canon XS + 28-135 lens = $600
Canon 40D = $800

Is it worth the extra $200 to upgrade to the 40D body? Any advice would be greatly appreaciated.

That depends on what you want to shoot. I personally feel you'll get more out of a new lens over a new body any day of the week. The 40D will have better low-light performance though.

The 40D will have more features than the XS. Features like better high ISO performance, more fps in burst mode, more focus modes and faster focusing, high shutter speed.....the list is pretty long.

For only $200, I say yes, upgrade.

My question is this. Would it be advisable to upgrade to the Canon EF 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Zoom Lens with the XS body or would it be a better idea to just upgrade to the 40D body with this lens used stock. I bought my canon XS for $400 and could sell it for $400 being I’m in South America at the moment and could buy a used EF 28-135 for about $200 used. I have also found used 40D’s for around $800. Math comes to this;

Canon XS + 28-135 lens = $600
Canon 40D = $800

Is it worth the extra $200 to upgrade to the 40D body? Any advice would be greatly appreaciated.
Question: Do you feel the XS isn't keeping up with your shooting skills? Do you feel the XS is holding you back at this point?

Honestly, you probably won't see any difference in image quality if you used the EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM 40D or the XS.

The difference between the XS and 40D is size, build quality and the shooting performance and controls.

If you feel you still have a lot to learn with the XS, just get the lens.

If you feel the XS is holding you back, get the 40D with the lens.

The EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM isn't a great lens. It's okay but it's not a fast lens and you can have CA (purple fringing) when the lens is zoomed all the way out. And many copies suffer from "zoom-creep"...lens will zoom out by itself if the camera is pointed downward.

Most reactions

Back