In camera HDR

roadkill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've heard that most dslr's will come with in camera HDR capabilities within a year. Is that technology on any cameras now? What about Nikon or Canon?
Has anyone used it and if so what do you think of it?

Well, there is currently bracketing of course, but I think you are referring to the actual final image processing?

The D300 has Active D-Lighting. It is a little similar. I have used that to test it out. I haven't had the camera long enough to know how it does with and without yet.

Overall, I want to control how my HDR images look myself, so even if the feature were there, I doubt I would use it often, similar to not converting my image to B&W in camera.

When the HDR function is used it will bracket and then merge the images in camera. You will take the shot and an HDR will appear on the screen as if it were a normal shot.

I get what you are saying, but I would still rather do it myself. Half of an HDR image is the settings you choose to combine the exposures with. I wouldn't complain about the feature for those shots I want to be lazy, but it eliminate the creativity in HDR....

Now, on that note, I don't do A LOT of HDR. And typically when I do, I try to keep it as natural as possible.

roadkill I assume you are talking about a tonemapped image, and not the camera spitting out a 32bit irradiance file.

As it is photographers want something as simple as control over the tone of an image. Just look at Photomatix check out how many sliders are used in the tone mapping process. For each image they are wildly different. 90% of HDR images look like crap as it is, it would be a shame if people didn't have the ability to control the outcome on top of it.

Actually come to think of it this is good. Maybe it will force those horrid set all sliders to 11 HDRs off flickr.

HDR, like any effect in camera today (ie: Nilon's d-light, B&W, saturation or any other adjustment) are just extra buttons that I would prefer not have. Just like ALL of the other settings, I prefer pulling the best out of a picture in post to my tastes, rather than leaving the settings to some Japanese engineer's tastes.

Give me low or no noise, and a nice neutral pic, and let me do the rest outside the camera. That works for me. ;)

To my knowledge, no camera does HDR currently and that makes me happy no end.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back