In camera metering help please!

impressme

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When I shoot in program I'm often getting underexposed shots. I've been shooting in raw lately so I've been able to adjust the exposure afterwards but I want to get it right in camera. I'm guessing part of my issue may be what metering style. I've got 4 possibilities with my camera. Can anyone explain the difference? I read the manual but I'm still a bit confused.

My 4 possibilities are evaluative, partial, spot & center-weighted average.

an important point is that somtimes the camera meter is not perfect and I also belive that many will underexpose a little by design so as to be on the safe side (not to blow highlights). If you find your results always too underexposed just try overexposing a bit when in those conditions (exposure compensation)

I can't really explain the metering modes - mine is what ever it was when I got the camera ;)

I would say buy understanding exposure great book explains it in there as well but heres a link that will tide you over for a bit
Digital camera metering

I would say buy understanding exposure great book explains it in there as well but heres a link that will tide you over for a bit

I've got the book and I'm reading through it now. Just looking for some specific explanations.

skip to the part that says metering its in the book...im pretty sure that explains it well

spot meters off the center 3.8% in the image, center-weighted average takes the average exposure from the entire image, partial is similar to spot but covers 13.5% of the center of the image, evaluative divides the image into a number of sections then decides how relevant that part is by terms of its location.

I've had good results with exposure compensation in harsh lighting - just remember to keep an eye out for changes in light from new positions or even high clouds.

Also my particular brand retains the EV even after power down, so get in the habit of checking and/or resetting between shoots.

-Shea

When I shoot in program I'm often getting underexposed shots.
The XTi had a similar problem when shooting in AUTO mode. The camera would shoot okay in the other modes though. People could send the camera to Canon with a few test shots to show the problem and Canon would fix the camera. Before and after pictures were pretty shocking. But most serious hobby photographers don't use AUTO so most didn't send their cameras in. I don't know if your problem is common with other XSi shooters.
I've been shooting in raw lately so I've been able to adjust the exposure afterwards but I want to get it right in camera. I'm guessing part of my issue may be what metering style.
Maybe...maybe not. Depends on what you're shooting and the kind of light you're shooting in. Is the problem showing up no matter what you're shooting and the kind of light you're shooting in? Or does it happen mostly when you shoot a specific type of shot?
I've got 4 possibilities with my camera. Can anyone explain the difference? I read the manual but I'm still a bit confused.

My 4 possibilities are evaluative, partial, spot & center-weighted average.
I found a few web pages that may help...

Metering Modes

A Guide to Exposure Metering Modes

CAMERA METERING & EXPOSURE

Introduction to Metering Modes

Understanding Light Metering System

Understanding Metering

Understanding your camera’s built-in metering system

Understanding Exposure: Shutter Speed, Aperture, and ISO

Sorry but you will not learn exposure by shooting in program, use manual first decide what depth of field you want and select your aperture then meter the scene or if you want some movement set your shutter speed and meter the scen, if the background is light than the subject use partial, but evaluative is an alround metering mode so try starting with it and see how you go on

Program to full Manual may be frustrating. Aperture priority & Shutter priority would probably be better steps towards full manual.

I hardly ever switch out of evaluative metering, but I do lock and recompose as well as compensate. Also set the display to show clipped whites if you really want to keep an eye on things.

-Shea

I've already shot in manual, Av & Tv. I was just curious why when I do shoot in program that they're consistantly under exposing. Thanks all for your suggestions.

I've already shot in manual, Av & Tv. I was just curious why when I do shoot in program that they're consistantly under exposing.
Try and contact Canon and ask if the underexposing in Program mode is something they know about. If it's happening a lot, you might be able to get your camera fixed for free. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

Try and contact Canon and ask if the underexposing in Program mode is something they know about. If it's happening a lot, you might be able to get your camera fixed for free. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks! I'll look into that...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back