In-camera sharpening?

Cely

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone, I just have an easy question for all of you photogs with a lot of experience.

Do you let your camera do any in-camera sharpening? I know you can choose different shooting modes (I am a Nikon user) like normal, vivid, sharper, etc. But what I usually do is set it to custom and turn off all sharpening, and then I just add sharpening in photoshop. Is this good, or should I trust my camera with sharpening? By the way, I have a D200, if that helps any.

Thanks.

In short, no, no in-camera sharpening.

If you shoot RAW none of that matters because it doesn't get applied. If you shoot JPEG it's getting applied to a file that only has an 8-bit color depth per channel, 256 colors per channel (RAW is 12 bits of color depth, 4096 colors per channel.) There are 3 channels Red, Blue, Green.

Ok, well I do shoot in RAW so that solves that issue for me!

Thanks a lot!

Yup, shoot in RAW and take all the in-camera processing out of the equation.

I played with in-camera sharpening when shooting in JPEG and I didn't like the results...much rather do sharpening when post processing images.

I shoot raw and then after adjusting the image in PS, run it through TOPAZ Adjust (a plug in) if I want to do anything else with it.

I find the sharpening that the camera does more often than not to be better than what is produced by a third-party solution. Shooting in RAW (with image presets), and exporting through Capture NX will maintain those image presets you specified in camera, while also keeping a RAW file for future "editing".

I never shoot jpeg :grumpy:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back