In Cyprus andrap want to get into photoghy PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by davidss2g, Dec 22, 2009.

1. davidss2g

davidss2g TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I would like to start getting into Photography. Im am in Cyprus at the moment and there are AMAZING photo ops. I want to buy a nice camera great for scenery and motion shots. I have been looking at Sony Alpha series, are they any good? please help and i would love other suggestions on brands and models..thank you!

2. PushingTin

PushingTin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Cyprus is indeed an amazing place with great photo opportunities so yes make the best of it :)

People who own Sony cameras dont seem to be unhappy but if I were looking to buy into DSLR now, I would only consider Nikon or Canon due to the amount of lenses available.

Remember, you not just buying a camera but you buying into a system.

Either way, good luck on your decision and just enjoy taking photos.

3. davidss2g

davidss2g TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thanks for the input! is the camera you use a Nikon D300? and also do you recommed me getting into a DSRL for scenic pics?

4. TJ K

TJ K No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What is your budget? I would recommend a Nikon D90. A dslr is always great to have for scenic pics and everything. They offer so much more control than any P&S can offer. It really depends on your budget to decide what lens to get. You might want a nice wide angle for landscapes but maybe want something longer for animals and things like that.
    TJ

5. PushingTin

PushingTin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes I have the D300 which i love but it all depends on budget.

If you want to go Nikon and have lots of money to throw around, I would recommend the D700 for scenic shots as its full frame rather than DX.

However since you a beginner to the DSLR, the lower end cameras will be a great starting point, like the D90. Will have easy to use settings and will be a fantastic way to get into DSLR. However you will outgrow the D90 eventually if you become serious about your photography.

Lenses are more important than camera body, try and spend as much as you can afford on a good lens. Will be the best investment. Lenses last, camera bodies dont.

Landscape shots = wideangle lens. (17mm is wide, 10mm is ultrawide)

Wouldnt try and use anything greater than 20mm lens for landscape on a DX camera. You wont get enough of the picture in.

Anyways, hope this helps a little.

6. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Pick one that has a good automatic setting and you are golden

7. davidss2g

davidss2g TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    -thanks everyone..my budget is around 800-1000...i think that should get me a good quality and a nice lens
    -thanks pushing tin for the help with info on landscape shots..i really dont know to much besides what i have read online
    -what kind of lens should i look for, for close ups..there is a lot of amazing old structures with so much detail i want to capture..and have the backround fade out((is that the lens that makes that possible or a program?))

8. PushingTin

PushingTin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have been to Cyprus many times (i am half cypriot) so i know what you talking about :)

Read up on google about shallow depth of field, thats how you get front object in focus, background blurred. You of course need a fast lens to do this, the faster the lens the more blury the background can be made.

I recommend the 50mm 1.8 lens as its cheap and will teach you ALOT about photography. You will use your feet to zoom as the lens is only one focal length, its super sharp and with an fstop of 1.8 you can get very creative.

All the best!

9. davidss2g

davidss2g TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    awesome! you have been a lot of help and i learned a lot just googleing all the stuff you have talked about a read up on it..i think im almost ready to make my decision as to the D-90 camera with the lens you just mentioned and maybe an 18-200 telephoto lens for scenery..im going to do some more research and see what that brings..but really thank you you have saved me lots of money and time!

10. TJ K

TJ K No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You won't be disappointed with the D90. It's a camera you can start with as a beginner but still grow and do very advanced things with it later on and the iso capabilities are amazing. The 18-200 covers a huge range but there are some downfalls to that but starting out and going around taking pics of the landscape it should be plenty good especially if you know the limitations and work with them. A tripod might come in handy if you plan on doing anything at night or any type of low light situation. GL
    TJ