In Flanders Fields

mad_malteaser

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I love this time of year on Malta. Everything's still green, there are flowers galore and the skies are clear and blue just about all of the time.

For the first time in a few years, poppies have sprung up all over the island.

VictoriaLines12.jpg

VictoriaLines17.jpg

I like the colour in these pics, and the second one has really made me look at it to decide if I like it or if I dont...

Artemis said:
the second one has really made me look at it to decide if I like it or if I dont...

Hey, if you've got any critiques feel free to tell me them. Anyway I can make that picture better has got to be a good thing.

Have you been home? Seems as if... you weren't around in quite some time.
Why do you call these "Flanders Fields"? I had first thought you'd taken a trip to Belgium. Am I getting things wrong here?

I really like the first photo. I get a sudden itch in my hands (wanting to grab the nearest camera, that is) every time I see such a spot of blooming meadow, and more so, if that spot is backlit, like it is here.

In the second, the colours are a bit strong. Looks oversaturated. Did you do something to the saturation? If not, this one is a clear example of how difficult it is to get the "real red" taken when you photograph red flowers.

LaFoto, yes I have been home. The name came from the poem by John McCrae about the poppyfields but yeah I guess it could be confused with Belgium!

The colours in the second photograph are actually a little bit darker than the original, and I bumped up the contrast just a bit too but that red is pretty much how those flowers looked the day I photographed them. They caught my eye from about fifty paces and the sun was so brilliant and bright, which is probably why the colours were so strong. I tried toning it down, but I didn't like the overall effect. Remembering how hot and clear the day was, I guess I was trying to capture that moment.

It's just that in that photo, with the upped contrast, they look contrasty to the point of looking like painted into the photo... on my monitor, that is.

And thanks for the explanation on the "Flanders Fields" :). My knowledge of poetry is almost non-existent... :blulsh2:

mad_malteaser said:
The name came from the poem by John McCrae about the poppyfields but yeah I guess it could be confused with Belgium!

I absolutely love that poem! There has been some really beautiful choral music set to that text.

IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

nice shots!! love the color of these flowers!!

thanks for posting the poem Aoide, we were asked to memorize that peom 35 yrs ago in grade school.. it brings back those memories ..

I read of the 60 year aniversery parade in Europe in the papers, and I honor all soldiers who fought for there country, past and present. Peace be with you and your families.

And thank you to the Dutch who honored Canadian soldiers.. My uncle took a bullet in the war, but survived until a year ago when cancer took him.. I am sure he was with his brothers during that parade.

Most reactions

Back