In home photo studio tips???

photographygirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello! I have been taken photos for many years, but I always had a DIY photo sudio in my home, and was going to purchase a real one of the net. I would like some tips or ideas. I found a website with very cheap equipment but before I buy anything would like to see if its a good idea or not. Here is the Kit I was thinking about getting. Studiohut Strobe Flash Complete Portrait Lighting Kit with Background Stand & 10' x 20' muslin backdrop (White) Its cheap and has everything I need. If your intrested in seeing my work, my website is Dorothythulphotography.com. I'm in the process of updating so I think a link may be broken to one thing. Thanks to whoever helps me out!!!!

If you check out that studiohut website and see a different kit that would be better please let me know!

That's not much light at all. They're also not adjustable in any way. It would be enough to light one, maybe two people, but you'd actually get more light from a speedlight. They're 45WPS. My main strobes are 300WPS and my fill ones are about 150WPS. So... not much light at all coming out of them.
In order to light that white muslin up to white you are going to need the 300WPS behind your subject with the 150WPS in front. White is the hardest backdrop to light properly and you have about enough light in that kit to leave it pretty darned dark gray. Those bulbs are handy to have as a fill light here and there, but that's about it.
The stands will be crap quality-which can be fine, but if you want it to last... not such a great idea. Same with the backdrop stand.
What it boils down to is that you get what you pay for. If you are doing tabletop photography it's probably a great kit. For portraits? Nope.

THere are budget options, but this isn't a very good one.

FWIW, your website is painfully slowwwwww......

If this is to be a personal studio for your family and friends I suppose this budget option is OK. The problem with it is that the flash tubes aren't user replaceable, so they get junked and replaced. But it's 2-160WS flashes with cheap stands and umbrellas. Definitely a whole lot better than the one you linked too.

If this is more than just small, family stuff then I would definitely not buy those, you need something that you can replace the flash tubes in.
I'd go with these:
TWO of these: Flashpoint II FP320SB2 Monolight Kit, 150 Watt Second FP320SB2

DIY backdrop stand: Shower curtain or long wooden dowel hung from those hooks you can buy in the automotive section of Wal Mart to hang bicycles.

I went thru ALL the portrait session shots, rapid-fire. Not too bad!

Please, do NOT buy that studio kit!!! Those are cheap "slave" type lights (See the Morris company's products for quality examples). I REALLY think buying two, Adorama Flashpoint 320M "kits" with monolight, stand, and softbox for $159 each (free shipping) is the better way to go. The muslin and crossbar set...ehhhh...that is the "hook" that snags the buyer...you do not need that--you need DECENT LIGHTS, and what they are selling is not decent--it is "barely adequate--in a marginally complete way"

Thank you all for the info, and just an fyi, I do have an external flash "Nikon Speedlight SB-600" not sure if I could add that to whatever kit I get??? The set up i'm looking for is mostly going to be used for one or two person photo session. I found another kit, just lights though, Studiohut 600W 5400K Quick Folding Softbox Continuous Lighting Stand kit with carry case I don't have alot of money so need to go budget for the time being. Thanks again for all the info!!!

Thank you all for the info, and just an fyi, I do have an external flash "Nikon Speedlight SB-600" not sure if I could add that to whatever kit I get??? The set up i'm looking for is mostly going to be used for one or two person photo session. I found another kit, just lights though, Studiohut 600W 5400K Quick Folding Softbox Continuous Lighting Stand kit with carry case I don't have alot of money so need to go budget for the time being. Thanks again for all the info!!!

Continuous lighting units are even worse than a low-powered strobe. Do not go with those.

Since you have one speedlight, try to work that into your setup. If you can scare up the money, try to get one of the strobe lights that heve been mentioned above.

Good lighting solutions that will last more than a season don't come cheaply. If you buy these products you're linking to, you might as well throw your money into a fire. If you can't afford at least $200-300 worth of investment (for used products) then you need to stick with natural light until you can.

Buying these CRAP quality slave lights and garbage stands will cause you way more headache than the money saved is worth.

Btw, your website is another area of serious concern. If I'm a potential client and I see your site, I'm gone in about 3 seconds.

Take a look at a WordPress based site. There are lots of "out of the box" templates that would be a huge improvement on your site. Right now your site is a much bigger liability than your lack of proper lighting equipment, IMO.

Ok, thanks for the critique, but I designed my website myself with Photoshop in an hour. The only people who see my site are friends and family or whoever I give the link to. I'm not a professional, I take photos as a hobby and to get some extra cash on the side. I have a full time job. This is just for fun, it's my passion. I just needed some lighting ideas. But thanks to those of you who helped.

I just needed some lighting ideas.

So what do you think of the lighting ideas given?

You might also check out the used equipment listings now that you have an idea of what will work and what will not.

Or one of these: Flashpoint FP320MPWK Portrait Wedding Monolight Kit FP320MPWK

I really can't stress enough that you need lights that use a real speed-ring. (the thing that the modifiers -softboxes and so on) Ones that break in front of a subject or simply won't work because they just use friction to clamp onto the light are frustrating beyond.

If you can't afford more than one then just get the one and roll with that until you can get more.

You can use diffusion panels, reflectors and black panels to do some amazing photography with just one light- not as easily granted but you CAN do it. If you buy "maybe it'll be good enough' you'll just have to turn around and spend the same money you would have spent in the first place except you won't have the money that you started out with.

Ask me how I know ;)

P.S. One of the biggest, least kept secrets in photography is that when it says Pro, and doesn't cost an arm and two legs, it probably isn't.

Most reactions

Back