In home photo studio tips???

I read your previous posts and it doesn't look like you're in any to get lights. Is there any way to save a few more nickels and dimes and get something that will last and be of quality? Someone else mentioned that buying those cheap lights is like flushing money down the drain. A good set of lights is a worthy investment. They don't have to be Profoto or Elinchrom but perhaps something better than Cowboy Studio.
Not in any hurry really, can I get all the lights I need for under $300? And maybe a better background? I don't know. Thinks for the help though! : )

flashpoint 320m : Buy or Learn at Adorama[/url]

THIS is so much better than that e-Bay stuff.
Ok I'll look into them, and thanks. Btw, does my site look any better? I'm still working on it. Its the one in the Prev. Post.

photographygirl said:
Not in any hurry really, can I get all the lights I need for under $300? And maybe a better background? I don't know. Thinks for the help though! : )

I think what everyone is trying to tell you is just save your money. If you want to spend the money that bad get a gift card towards Adorama and put it towards better equipment.

I hemmed and hawed for a long time before I took the plunge. I created countless shopping carts on B&H and would get cold feet. I also wanted to pay with cash and only wanted to buy once. I equate lights along the lines of camera brands. You're investing into a system or else it becomes a money pit. Choose a lighting system that will grow with you. Also, keep in mind the incidentals that come with it. Various modifiers, gels, surge protectors, stands, etc.

Ok, your going off topic, and you have no idea what I do with my taxes. My friends come to me for photos, I would do it for free, but they donate and give me $20 here and there because they love my photos. That has nothing to do with the original post, but of course there is always that one person on the forums who likes to be negative and blow things way over the top. Thanks for that. Let's get back on topic please.

As I said, go ahead and immediately blow me off. Just a friendly word of caution. Not being negative, and certainly not "blowing things over the top". It happens, and a lot more often than snarky rookies want to be bothered to think about.

Best of luck with your lighting search! :thumbsup:

Oh, well I guess I didn't know how many I actaully need then. I'm still learning here, I was just trying to figure out what is best for portraits, something where I can change around the lighting and try different techniques and things. Thought maybe more was better. That is why I came onto this forum, was to get some help and maybe learn a few things. Some of the people on here are actaully nice about helping, but others.... not so much. Not sure why some of you even respond to questions if your just going to be sarcastic and make smart remarks! Thanks to you who actaully have helped, and for those of you stuck-up people who think your just to experienced and smart to help out someone who is just learning about lighting, then just ignore the questions and keep to yourself!!!! :thumbdown:

Just a mom observation: Your attitude is being reflected back to you here, so be aware that THEY aren't the only ones who are seeming like the a$$ here.

Done being the mom for now. Sorry... it seems to be a role I can't ever get out of having become the local "kool-aid house."

Lighting for portraits: A good, one light setup with a reflector can render everything you need for a one or two person portrait. A one light setup with a LARGE softbox is great with kids. Flat lighting is better with running around little monkeys.

A two light setup you can do nearly anything you'll want to do. Families, couples, singles...

Two good lights and a small one for backgrounds is more than I usually work with, but you are getting into some great flexibility.

HOWEVER if those lights don't have enough power you are back to square one with little ability. If you can't change the flash tubes (not the modeling lights) and you bump one of those lights and break a tube in setting up or taking down? You are throwing it away and buying a new one-instead of a tube.
If the softboxes are cheaply made (think about how Halloween costumes are made and using it more than once or twice...) and you are putting tension on them setting them up and taking them down on an even once in a while basis how are they going to hold up?

StudioLighting.net is a great resource. You'll notice they have a Studio Lighting on the Cheap page-even the products they suggest on the cheap are the same caliber as the flashpoints we have been telling you to buy all along. I am pretty sure if you researched back to the manufacturer they are all probably made in the same factory. Adorama and B&H are the two largest camera equipment suppliers in the US. Beware of "too good to be true" internet stores. They are too good to be true.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back