In major need of some pointers!

Jamiebear

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These pictures are horrible, i cant figure out lighting at night...what am i doing wrong i cant figure it out!!! I dont know what setting im supposed to be on, ive tried them all...my camera is always really fuzzy
e6twue.jpg

2a61jl4.jpg

2itlfvb.jpg

vi1loi.jpg

and im so mad because the moon was really beautiful last night but i couldnt get a good shot :(

I know the feeling Jamiebear!

I dragged all of my equipment outside the other night for the eclipse but to no avail...... :cry:....
I rushed right in and downloaded them onto the computer to see what I got and to possibly post. Then I saw "real" eclipse pictures on here, The PhotoForum, and quietly.........mournfully......deleted them all.
I too tried every setting there was on my 40D and ended up with all under exposed or brilliantly, burnt, overexposed. After reading what settings the other users used to get good shots, I've concluded my ISO was set way too high. But I thought that's what you're suppose to do at night. Anyways.......That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Good luck!

-Jim :)

The most important thing to remember when shooting the moon is that it is very very very bright. YOu can shoot it at any aperture, so long as you're focused at infinity, but usually need a very fast shutter speed. Nothing else will expose right, but you'll get great detail in the moon!

get a tripod, it will reduce the blurriness with a longer shutter time. also a higher iso will lead to brighter yet noiser pictures, lower will result in darker more detailed. so what you want to do is have your iso set as low as possible usually 100 then make a longer shutter time, only worth it on a tripod. and i don't know how to explain aperature i'm too nooby. but that should get you started
play around with different settings and take hundreds of pictures until you see what you like :D trial and error is the best way to learn!

get a tripod, it will reduce the blurriness with a longer shutter time. also a higher iso will lead to brighter yet noiser pictures, lower will result in darker more detailed.

I agree with logan, the first step is to get a tripod. The second step is to learn how to use manual settings on your camera. Do you have a point and shoot or an slr? If you have a point and shoot and it has a manual mode play around with aperature and shutter speed settings (get detail on these in other areas of the forum). For night shots you will typically need 1+ second exposures which are near impossible without a tripod. If you get some basic equipment and learn a little bit about your camera you'll be taking great night shots in no time!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back