In need of advice!

DaVirus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys I've been searching around and I need your advice...

Hmm with a $ 1000 or less budget what camera should I buy? And lenses too?

Okay basically I love taking pictures of nature scenes using HDR and urban landscapes and also sometimes portraits of people etc. But since I've only had the "normal" cheaper ($200-300) cameras (not the professional ones i guess), I wanted to make the transition so any tips? :confused:

well, sounds like you need to up yourself to an slr..... you wont buy much NEW for $1000, though i think the new nikon d40 is around that mark with a lens included. You could also look on the used side of things.

you wont buy much NEW for $1000.

I'd have to disagree here. You can easily buy a Pentax k10d
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/459620-REG/Pentax_19091_K10D_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

with a 50mm f/1.4 instead of the kit lens (though it's kit lens is decent)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/40755-USA/Pentax_20817_Normal_SMCP_FA_50mm_f_1_4.html
Total price $899.

You can also get Canon XTi (400D) for under $600, a 30D for under $1000, or an XT for under $450.

You can get a Nikon D80, D40 or D40X all under $1k.

Make your decision based on your own needs. You aren't buying a camera per se but you are buying into a system and a family of lenses. Make decisions accordingly.

Must agree with Johnboy here. With the recent release of many new cameras prior to holidays and PMA, prices are dropping on "older" bodies. The Canon 20D, 30D, XT and XTi are still very capable cameras. Same goes for the D40x. D50 and D70. With their newer counter-parts just tweaking a few features here and there, and adding a tad, they are all the same. Just see which features you need and base your decision there. You can just get the kit lens to start with if you are on a budget and add a 50 f/1.8 for portraits and low-light shooting for under $100.

Here's a canon setup for you, under $1000

Canon Rebel XT w/ 18-55 kit lens: $550 new
Canon 50mm f/1.8: $80 new
Canon 75-300 USM III: $150 new

That's less than $800. You have yourself a good range (18-55 wide and 75-300 tele) and then a super quality great low-light 50mm f/1.8.

Use those two zoom lenses to see what you want to focus on in the future...maybe a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8? It costs like $370. Save your extra $200 and put it towards a nicer piece of glass down the road.

Also, don't discount the XT when it comes to the XTi. I know a few people who would actually prefer the XT over the XTi. XT is a great camera. Given your budget, probably your best choice...save up for a couple nice lenses.

Hey guys,

First of thanks for the info Ive done some reasearch and narrowed my choices to two cameras:

Nikon D80 - Canon XTi

I wonder if the Canon would be a better choice since it seems like its more of an entry-level DSLR which is perfect for my current skills/needs?

By the way I got alot of info from this:
http://www.dcviews.com/reviews/Canon-Rebel-XTi-Nikon-D80/Canon-Rebel-Xti-Nikon-D80-review.htm

I think that the D80 is the best camera that you can buy for the money, but look deeper. Look at what lenses you might want in the future, and which system seems to have those. The XT, XTi, D40, D80, etc. will all be more camera than you need. Handle each of them, and their more expensive siblings. Play with some of the lenses you might consider in the future. Try each system on and see what works for you. No system is head and shoulders above the others.

Good luck,
Keith

And the D80 is $1000 for just the body - retail. I haven't looked in a week or 2, but that's the camera I'm looking to upgrade to. The best prices for kits I've found is around $1800 for Body, 2 lenses, 600 or 800 flash, memory, case, tripod, etc from cameta or j&h(or whatever their initials are) on e-bay.

Hmm, after talking so some people/researching I think I am leaning on the D80. But I wonder if I'm rushing it since yeah just about $1000 for the body.

Or buy the body, and buy the lenses in the future when I am more "in-tuned" with the D80.:confused:

They're both excellent cameras, it's phenomenal how we as consumers are benefiting from the extreme competition in the dSLR market right now. Anyone of these cameras is great, and they all have a good selection of lenses. You cannot go wrong. If you live near decent stores, go hold them in your hand, and see which feels better. That's ultimately what will matter at this point, they can all do 98% of what you're going to want it to.

Have fun, post some pics.

I have both Nikon and Canon systems, and one of the things I really value about my Nikon system is that I can use old, cheap but great, manual focus lenses on my tiny little D40x. Now that Nikon have shown that they can produce a full-frame digital camera using the same old lens mount the doors have really opened wide for a system that goes from superb mechanical film cameras like the F2AS to the D300 and D3.

Of course if, like me, you really want a 24 mm f/1.4 lens, then you have to go with Canon. That is one of the things that could be the deciding factor: the availability of a particular lens in the Canon or Nikon systems.

Best,
Helen

I bought into the Canon side with the 350d about 3 years ago and I've no complaints at all. However if I had to look at it today I don't know how I'd choose between the 400D and the D80. Flip a coin maybe?

If you're in America go check out Costco (is costco in Canada?). They're selling Nikon D40 kits and Rebel Xti kits both for less than $1000 and each comes with 2 lenses.

Most reactions

Back