In need of an external flash

Opher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello i am looking for an external flash for my Canon XS. I would like it to be able to controle a secondary off camera flash. And i want all of this for under $250. Can you shoot me some ideas? The primary use will be taking photos of children at my church (youth group); usually in an uncontrolled environment.

Any sujestions are welcome.

eBay radio triggers and Vivitar 285HV's.

The triggers are $45 including shipping and the 285HV's are $90 ea on Amazon.

You won't have TTL.

To do Canon speedlights (2) you'd have to triple your budget.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
HERE is a 2 flash kit with umbrellas, stands, radio triggers etc. No TTL, it would have to be all manual control and it's still almost twice your budget.

If you can increase your budget, I would suggest something like a Canon 430 EX or EXII and a Vivitar 285 with the radio triggers. You will then have a 2 light off camera manual flash setup and the option of using an on camera flash to bounce light when you need it.

eBay radio triggers and Vivitar 285HV's.

The triggers are $45 including shipping and the 285HV's are $90 ea on Amazon.

You won't have TTL.

To do Canon speedlights (2) you'd have to triple your budget.

You don't need two Canon speed lights for off camera flash.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't think he was saying you needed 2 Canon flashes. It sounds like he was suggesting 2 Vivitars and offering the info that if he wanted to do Canon flashes, he would need to spend more.

Thanks for defending me. Notice I didn't bother to respond. Previous experience, such as you just encountered, is why.

This is the only forum I belong to, that has a populated ignore list.

Thank you for your help. Sorry i could not get back to you sooner(my laptop died).

TO the OP, just go to Strobist , read lighting 101 and 102, it has all the info you need... and more.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back