In need of help deciding...

Which photo is the strongest?

Votes: 16 50.0%

Votes: 5 15.6%

Votes: 6 18.8%

Votes: 3 9.4%

Votes: 10 31.3%

• Total voters
I voted for #5, although I agree with someone who commented earlier that it should be cropped on the left. I'd probably go with an exact square crop. You won't lose any resolution because it would be the same height and so would be displayed/printed at the same magnification.

I had some problems with all of the others, and there are too many images to comment on. The alternate version of #3 addresses the eye contact problem, but their hands are right on the frame edge and there are bright spots along the top of the frame, both distractions, at least to me.

#1 is a contender because it's a cute kid shot and cute kids are always an attention grabber, but being a monochrome, I'm not sure it will have the visual impact to grab the judge's attention in the few seconds they're likely to give on a first round cull of entries.

I thought the monochrome of #1 fit perfectly..... makes it look old. The second I saw it, I got a nostalgic feeling & thought about "the good ole days" & all the good times, being young & carefree... I think the B&W look works on that photo with the kid on the "old" tractor

KenC said:
I voted for #5, although I agree with someone who commented earlier that it should be cropped on the left. I'd probably go with an exact square crop. You won't lose any resolution because it would be the same height and so would be displayed/printed at the same magnification.

I had some problems with all of the others, and there are too many images to comment on. The alternate version of #3 addresses the eye contact problem, but their hands are right on the frame edge and there are bright spots along the top of the frame, both distractions, at least to me.

Not feeling the square crop. Sorry. It takes a particular image to warrant a square crop IMO. I don't see that as one of them.

Didn't realize five images was too many. Normally C&C threads are between 3-5.

Thank you for responding!

#1 FTW, slight shame about the foreground DOF, but it doesn't kill the shot.
#2 IMO the woman on the right is not contributing to the image, I might have prefered to see the expressions on the faces of the crowd - they're all looking at the bride.
#3 I like the guy looking down, there's enough expression to see he is well pleased. The bride doesn't look like she is "with him", if that makes sense.
#4 Naa, I don't like the way the bride is leaning away from the groom.
#5 But for the rock and dark blob on the RH edge this would have been my choice.

Voted #1

Wish you all luck in the comp!

Thanks for responding and rendering critique, Rob.

The only issue I take with your critique is that the woman on the right in #2 is the brides mother. There is absolutely no way I would leave her out of the image, and she definitely adds to the feeling. If it were some random person, then yeah. I'd see what you were saying for sure.

Thanks again!

Pallycow said:
I thought you had a great one from that wedding with them in a boat...why didn't that one make the list?

Which one was it? The first one made the bride cry when I delivered it to her. The second one I like for the symmetry and the crowd in the background.
View attachment 36138
View attachment 36139

No, not those, I thought you had one with the same couple in shot 3...in a boat.. lol. I recall a scene of laughter. Stuck in my head anyway, I'll see if I can find it.

found it. I was thinking of this one. Looking now, it's not up to par with the others you posted, but for some reason...a good one apparently, 8 months later it still stands out in my head as a good moment captured.

ibqaOfmHTGHMA.jpg

Pallycow said:
found it. I was thinking of this one. Looking now, it's not up to par with the others you posted, but for some reason...a good one apparently, 8 months later it still stands out in my head as a good moment captured.

Ah, thank you Ernie! I had forgot about that one. I also have a slight different angle of that one too which is what I thought you were going to post.

Pallycow said:

Ah, thank you Ernie! I had forgot about that one. I also have a slight different angle of that one too which is what I thought you were going to post.

yeah, I liked the other one as well...but the bride is less involved in that one, but still a great shot. Funny, reviewing that whole series...you got a lot of winners in that set.

Number 1. Not the reason I chose it, but it could have been taken in any decade in the last 70 or so years. It feels like it is part of a family history. Good luck.

#1 is my pic. Would be toughest to recreate that moment, feeling.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back