In order to create an HDR-image...?

LaFoto

Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
... what do I do to get three photos merged into one that then meets the high dynamic range.

I took three photos, three different exposures, and when I open all three in Photoshop (I only have a very old version - 6.0) ... how do I make sure that I want all three to blend?

I open the first and can produce layer after layer, if I want, I open the next and have a whole new history, everything starts at the beginning ... how do I bring all three together? :scratch:

Sorry for being so extremely ignorant and silly with regards to these matters :oops:

The merge to HDR function in PS is only available in CS.... so if you want to try and blend 3 exposures you'd have to do it manually. You could try and bring out some range in certain areas by using layer masks....and using a kind of zone system to try and create one image with a higher dynamic range. Or you can get more complicated and use luminosity masks.... there is an online tutorial for this HERE

The other option is to download the free version of Photomatix..... but i think you can only use two exposures in the free version. ;)

Only in CS2 I think...I have CS and I don't think it has HDR.

I'd just give it a try with layer masks.

Hey, thanks Lars.
I think I might try some of that software mentioned ... and Matt, if you use layers, how on earth do you get a layer from Photo X into the whole history of Photo Y? That's always two different stories for me! Or if I copy one into the other, I cannot chose the opacity ... well, I did not find anywhere I COULD, that is. :scratch:

You can drag one photo into another, using the move tool (v). You'll adjust opacity with the layer mask. Add a layer mask to the new layer. It will be filled with white by default. This is 100% opacity. I like to have my brighter image on top, the one exposed for the shadows. I immediately fill the mask with black, so that image is at 0% opacity. Then I paint in the exposure where I want it. If you paint with pure white you'll be painting in 100% opacity. Any shade of grey between white and black is a different opacity. You can fine tune your image. It's time consuming, but if you want to have control over your image, that's how to do it.

Check out this site, has a tutorial on HDR. This one uses photomatrix and photoshop and soemthing else, just go read it :p I Don't know much myself but I was reading about it the other day, figure it might help you out :)

http://stuckincustoms.com/?p=548

Most reactions

Back