In the ballet school (no good for 56k!!!)

LaFoto

Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Next to her quite extensive swimming, my daughter also goes to ballet classes twice a week (and I take advantage of the aerobics classes that self-same teacher offers for adults ;)). Some time before Christmas, this self-same ballet/dance/aerobic/gymnastics teacher asked me if I was willing to take some pics of her students during rehearsal. I said yes, immediately having emayd's wonderful ballet photos in front of my inner eye.

Ah well...

A) this is a village ballet school who offers classes to ANYONE who wants to dance - this teacher even offers hip hop or jazz dance for special children

B) the photos had to be taken in their rehearsal room with 8 square ceiling lights with fluorescent tubes in them

C) the costumes are old, handmade - or the kids were not in costume (as yet) at all.

So whoever expects to get to see some emayde-quality photos will be disappointed. I did bring, however, two "lights" of my own to add to the light from above and create SOME more "drama" or depth, despite this being a rehearsal only, and I tested them out in my daughter's class beforehand, so I would know what would expect me on the Sunday when EVERYONE was around for a big rehearsal-for-all.

These are from the Monday in class (lighting tests). You might like some (maybe?????) (all the kids shown here have had their parents sign the release form or signed it themselves).

127102093.jpg

This girl is going to have the main part in the piece that will be performed on 17, 18 and 19 February, and it is an adaptation of Delibes' Coppelia, adapted so that everyone can take part, whether they do classical ballet, jazz dance, hiphop, MTV moves or what. I found she had the most talent to ACT - she is really good at that!

127102112.jpg

This girl is going to play the part of the young male (lack of male dancers ... like my choir suffers from lack of male singers... :roll: - this is the boonies, the back of beyond for you! - :roll: ), but on that Monday she wasn't dressed up. Would you know that there was one of those square ceiling lights "growing out of her head" in the original photo? Ha! I'm glad I am gradually and by and by getting to know my PS a little better :D.

127102111.jpg

My daughter in her usual ballet class outfit (they are all dressed in black, or most of them are), waiting and whiling away her time - she won't perform, since she'll be away on a class trip right then :roll: Hmph. :confused:

127102094.jpg

Dance of the "matrushkas" (after they had seen these photos, they decided to do something about these old costumes, no one likes the headscarves, and the skirts were way too small for most of them, so in the performance, the "matrushkas" are going to wear something else, phew, good. :D)

127102095.jpg

Dance of the "matrushkas" again (and you can tell that not everyone in that ballet school is cut out to become a ballerina later in life)

127102101.jpg

Dance of the "matrushas" again - the ballet teacher will put this picture (along with a good many others from my series, she is extremely happy about it, and so are many parents or kids, I might add in all modesty) into the programme booklet because the girl in glasses, who I found hard to photograph so she'd be really nice in a pic, here is ... well, nice :D.

127102098.jpg

More "matrushka-dance", with a special light effect (produced by my slide projector light and the headlights switched off just for me to see what THAT would look like)

127102100.jpg

One of the dancers

127102110.jpg

127102109.jpg

Improvised "scene" of the group secretly entering the doll-maker's premises and finding all his dolls in there (no dolls around on that Monday, though ;)) - I like the main character's ability to act and her mobile face!

127102106.jpg

My daughter getting ready for the obligatory "Good-Bye-Dance" (this has nothing to do with the piece, but is being done at the end of each and every rehearsal)

127102103.jpg

Good-Bye Dance

127102105.jpg

Curtseying to the teacher

Sorry for the length of post. I have meanwhile spent DAYS (no longer only hours) on these photos, and it is not over yet ... and I am soooooooo looking forward to taking photos during dress rehearsal and during the preparations before the performances. I might even take photos during the performances, we'll see.

And I have many more to come of that Sunday ... but I'm still waiting for releases for some little kids who feature in those pics, and until I'll have those ... no pics, I'm afraid.

LaFoto I really like 1, 2, and 8. The simple but clear portraits are very nice. Looks like you had some tough conditions to work with. I be interested to see the performance shots.

Thanks so much.
More and more parents are signing the release forms, so soon also the kiddie pics should be up. They are so cute! :D

very neat shots corinna.. great job considering the lighting conditions you had ... :D

Thanks Mansi ... these are just a couple of pics taken during the light test session ...

How cute these girls are in their costumes! :) You caught some fun action here, Corinna. I hope you get a chance to shoot some more!

These are great photos - you did very well and I'm not surprised to learn that everyone is so happy with them.

Most reactions

Back