In the Wind | Silo | Long Exposure

Man, I've been eyeing one of those Big Stoppers for quite some time now. All I've used thus far have been grad. filters, and at most like 3 stops. 10 stops sounds glorious.

It made this 1/30th second exposure (f20 and ISO 50) to a 55 second exposure. It's just pure fun!

So you'd say that the $280 for the WA adaptor, filter holder, and big stopper was a worthwhile investment? Also, how often do you use the big stopper vs a grad. ND?

Man, I've been eyeing one of those Big Stoppers for quite some time now. All I've used thus far have been grad. filters, and at most like 3 stops. 10 stops sounds glorious.

It made this 1/30th second exposure (f20 and ISO 50) to a 55 second exposure. It's just pure fun!

So you'd say that the $280 for the WA adaptor, filter holder, and big stopper was a worthwhile investment? Also, how often do you use the big stopper vs a grad. ND?

Hmmm. I use grads every time I shoot a sunset. I use the big stopper the *least* really. I've found the little stopper the most versatile, really.

Hmmm. I use grads every time I shoot a sunset. I use the big stopper the *least* really. I've found the little stopper the most versatile, really.

Like if I had to choose, I'd say get soft set of GND's, then the little stopper, then the big.

Absolutely beautiful. Nice job!

Haha I keep thinking of things to add. This shot wouldn't have been possible with the little stopper though. Because that would have only gotten me down to 2 seconds. So in this case, in midday high sun, the little stopper isn't that useful. But I've found the big stopper opens up a lot of shots that would otherwise be unavailable or difficult to create. And GND's are great, but you could always composite in post or shoot an HDR and have a similar "effect." You can't, at least to my knowledge, recreate the Big Stopper's effects on landscapes in post. You just can't. So, with that in mind, I'd say go Big Stopper first. Add grads and other ND's later.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I am torn on this image. I love the sky/clouds. Great job on this. Super color, the silo is quite interesting ... but ... (the big but) ... my first impressions of sticking the silo in the middle, is it shows a lack imagination. Not being there I don't know what other possibilities were available, but my first impression is the scene has more potential than what you tapped. I think you may have played it safe by playing the symmetrical card.

My second impression is the contrast between the fluid, ethereal and edgeless sky and the solid, unmoving, manmade object is a very strong statement.

This has the potential of being a portfolio shot. I think there may be more untapped photographic power than what you captured.

Just my $.02.

Good Luck and Good Shooting,
Gary

Last edited:
I am torn on this image. I love the sky/clouds. Great job on this. Super color, the silo is quite interesting ... but ... (the big but) ... my first impressions of sticking the silo in the middle, is that shows a lack imagination. Not being there I don't know what other possibilities were available, but my first impression is the scene has more potential than what you tapped. I think you may have played it safe by playing the symmetrical card.

My second impression is the contrast between the fluid, ethereal and edgeless sky and the solid, unmoving, manmade object is a very strong statement.

This has the potential of being a portfolio shot. I think there may be more untapped photographic power than what you tapped.

Just my $.02.

Good Luck and Good Shooting,
Gary

Let me explain my thinking. I originally wanted to shoot horizontally, but at 16mm and to get the right sky/ground ratio I got some horrid distortion that made the tower look like it was falling into the middle. This is one of the first honest times I WISH I had a tilt shift lens. And really, there is nothing else around. It's isolated. So I figured a centered and simplistic composition would be the strongest option.

Thanks for your input Gary. The issues you have with this are almost exactly the same as the ones I had while shooting.

Jake

I have a slight problem with the sky seemingly given the same weight as the silo, (or vice versa). My little cream cheese brain keeps trying to figure out the principal subject ... is it sky or silo ... claiming both offers little comfort. Go back with a ladder. Make me happy. :winky:

Haha I keep thinking of things to add. This shot wouldn't have been possible with the little stopper though. Because that would have only gotten me down to 2 seconds. So in this case, in midday high sun, the little stopper isn't that useful. But I've found the big stopper opens up a lot of shots that would otherwise be unavailable or difficult to create. And GND's are great, but you could always composite in post or shoot an HDR and have a similar "effect." You can't, at least to my knowledge, recreate the Big Stopper's effects on landscapes in post. You just can't. So, with that in mind, I'd say go Big Stopper first. Add grads and other ND's later.

That's what I'm thinking. At the moment, I have a set of grads that I can stack to get a couple stops down, I think 3? They're the cheap Cokin ones, worthless anytime except for sunset. With this shot, for example, did you use any grads or just the big stopper? I suppose the foreground and sky were already pretty well balanced? Or did you just expose for the cloud highlights and bring up the rest of the shot in post?

I've decided to pick them up, just have to make sure I'm picking up the right filter for starters that would actually add something significant to my arsenal. Seems like the Big Stopper fits the bill.

That's what I'm thinking. At the moment, I have a set of grads that I can stack to get a couple stops down, I think 3? They're the cheap Cokin ones, worthless anytime except for sunset. With this shot, for example, did you use any grads or just the big stopper? I suppose the foreground and sky were already pretty well balanced? Or did you just expose for the cloud highlights and bring up the rest of the shot in post?

I've decided to pick them up, just have to make sure I'm picking up the right filter for starters that would actually add something significant to my arsenal. Seems like the Big Stopper fits the bill.

When I got lower and included more foreground I used a 3 stop soft, but ended up not really liking the looks of that angle. So this one was just the Big Stopper. [emoji106]

When I got lower and included more foreground I used a 3 stop soft, but ended up not really liking the looks of that angle. So this one was just the Big Stopper. [emoji106]

Well, you convinced me man! Plopped down the $286 dollars the other day to get the adaptor, filter holder, and big stopper! Really looking forward to getting out to the coast with it.

Thanks for all the info, and keep the great shots coming!

Well, you convinced me man! Plopped down the $286 dollars the other day to get the adaptor, filter holder, and big stopper! Really looking forward to getting out to the coast with it.

Thanks for all the info, and keep the great shots coming!

Enjoy!

Cool and inspirational.

FYI, don't eat the dead bird, you could get Ebola.

Cool shot. I find myself wondering how it would look if it was shot from a much lower perspective.

Love me some 10 stop ND action.

The rule of thumb I use when figuring exposure is if I can get to 1/30th of a second without the filter, then my starting point will be around 30 seconds with it. This works great because it forces a small aperture, for DOF, and low ISO, for quality. If light is limited, then I will crank up the ISO. Then I will try anything from 15-60 secs from that point. It can be time consuming and a little tedious, especially when trying this in nasty weather, which is usually the best time to do it if you're going for cloud motion.

Most reactions

Back