In your opinion , what is the toughest language to learn?

They can't all be the 'toughest' there has to be only one.
For everyone I know, it was English.

For you, maybe. For others, it could easily be something else.

So yes, there can be more than one.
The question was "In your opinion what is the toughest language to learn?"...where does that say anything about for others?

There can only be one toughest in an individual's opinion whoever that person is. The "est" on the end indicates there is only of that is the most extreme. Now if it asked what is a tough language there could be more than one per respondent.

The question is not directed solely towards you. It is directed towards anyone who reads it.

Since my opinion may differ from yours, there's at least two answers. But if you want to continue arguing semantics, go right ahead.

Solo.
There is only one answer for each respondent is the point I was making when one person said there were several 'toughest' languages, but that is impossible.
Skywalker.

For an adult, there are few Native American languages which can only be learn as a child, because an adult cannot retrain/train certain tongue muscles to accommodate the sounds of these languages.

Last edited:
For an adult, there a few Native American languages which can only be learn as a child, because an adult cannot retrain/train certain tongue muscles to accommodate the sounds of these languages.
That seems very broad and generalistic. I am sure there is an exception to that somewhere.

I mean...from a linguist stand point...all languages are equally easy to learn, assuming you are immersed in them during the appropriate critical periods of development. A baby who is immersed in Chinese, English, and/or whatever, will be proficient in all of them.

For an adult, there a few Native American languages which can only be learn as a child, because an adult cannot retrain/train certain tongue muscles to accommodate the sounds of these languages.
That seems very broad and generalistic. I am sure there is an exception to that somewhere.
There are always exceptions.

I mean...from a linguist stand point...all languages are equally easy to learn, assuming you are immersed in them during the appropriate critical periods of development. A baby who is immersed in Chinese, English, and/or whatever, will be proficient in all of them.
There are people that are unable to learn languages too though.

Martian is very hard to learn :joyous:

Most seriously, Danish is very hard to learn

I had the most trouble learning to speak Gerbil as a kid.

There are people that are unable to learn languages too though.

But then ALL languages are difficult to learn, not specific ones.

English, 56 yeras an I aint gotta her write yet

I've heard it said Icelandic is up there and with reason. You think conjugating verbs in Spanish is hard, they change those and pronouns, adjectives, adverbs change right along with it. Not many opportunities to practice either.

I heard Icelandic was very difficult

Most reactions

New Topics

Back