The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I take pictures (headshots and dress rehearsal) for a local theatre group and I was on my way to do another shoot yesterday. There was a town fair and the street along the front of the theater was the main venue and the theatrical group had a booth. The booth was deorated with a series of my pictures from the previous production (Sondheim - Into the Woods) and this picture was the centerpiece.

I was pleased even more when a passer-by (with a camera slung across his shoulder) pointed at the picture and remarked how great it was - and that the photographer must be a professional theatre photographer.

Although there are things I would improve in it, I was pleased with the picture as a grabshot from the audience during dress rehearsal.

Camera Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D70
Image Date: 2007:03:29 20:26:58
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 50.0mm (35mm equivalent: 75mm)
Exposure Time: 0.033 s (1/30)
Aperture: f/2.8
ISO equiv: 1600
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

intothewoodsbg5.jpg

Very nice capture. I am looking into doing some performing arts photography, espaecially theatre work. Any tips for getting my foot in the door?

The local paper (Washington Post) prints notices for auditions. I sent an email to each theater that was holding auditions along with links to some series of pix I had done. Confessed my lack of experience and my willingness to work pro bono for a while and had two takers immediately. Now have several headshot models, have done 3 plays.

I am accumulating pix for portfolio and having good time. Learning a lot about taking the images and how to manage the process.

Excellent. Thanks for the advice, I'll have to send some letters away.

Things I've learned.

I try to see the play at least twice so I can tell when important/interesting things/groupings will occur so I can catch them. I always seem to get shots both nights.

Never use flash. Theater lights are hard enough to deal with.

I use two backs - one with 50 mm and one with 100 f 2.8.

I shoot at whatever iso is required and ignore grain issues. That seems to be acceptable.

I shoot raw (so I can do some WB managment) and, whenever possible, on continuous shutter. (3 frames (?)/ second.

They get to see maybe 10-15% of the shots I take at most.

On headshots, I pick the best shots.

Cool, I'll bear that in mind.

yes, very nice photo! Indeed, the motion works. Crop or clone out the black area in the left lower corner.

:thumbup:

pascal

Most reactions

New Topics

Back