Incentives to buy locally

neea

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been shopping for an XTi lately and the time is getting closer and closer.

I always believe in buying locally and supporting your local ma and pa stores.
However... with prices significantly cheaper online this is very hard to do.

When it comes to spending almost $1000 a couple hundred makes quite a difference and could be used to buy even more equipment.

To buy my camera and lens at adorama is $100 cheaper for the two plus S&H than buying just the camera locally. That extra hundred bucks could buy a teleconverter, or a few filters, or a new camera bag for all my new gear.

I know that my lens comes with a 6 year warranty and the camera has a 1 year Canon warranty.
Does anyone know if you can buy extra coverage through adorama for the camera?
I've had bad luck with all my $200 point and shoots kickin the bucket. One was 3 days after the warrant. I can not afford for this to happen again!!!

Thanx everyone

EDIT: Anyone ever hear of or deal with http://www.bluestripephoto.com? I see they have a refurbished camera for even less with a 1 year Canon warranty

I can't speak for your store locally, but I always buy lenses and bodies from them. They are always about 10% more, so my new 70-200 VR was $150 more here in town than through online. Ouch.

Why would I pay 10% more? If the lens has a problem I set it on their counter and walk out with a new lens right away... at least until they service mine. MOST definatly worth 10% for me.

I don't buy batteries or cards from them, just bodies, lenses and flashes.

If you're not in a position to NEED your equipment for work and you can wait weeks for service then I'd buy from B&H or Adorama and save the scratch - like you said more money for gear! You could always ask the local store to price match. They won't but they may come closer. :thumbup:

Don't forget to figure in Brokerage, if you are ordering from the US. If you ship via UPS or FedEx ground service, then they will ding you for a hefty brokerage charge. If you order one of the 'express' airmail options, it costs more but there is no extra brokerage...at least I don't there is.

I have bought most of my new equipment from McBain but I also buy used equipment off of Ebay, from time to time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back