bulldurham

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A drama set in France during the early parts of the German occupation when they began rounding up Jews, artists, musicians, gypsies and other "undesirables."

The director got into a bind when her scheduled photographer failed to show for the last dress rehearsal and less than an hour before the rehearsal asked if I could fill in. She had some old stills taken from faded 8mm film clips that looked as if they had been hand-tinted of that era taken by her grandmother who survived the holocaust and asked if I could reproduce these in that style. The ones she had were badly faded but I gave it a try anyway. I am hoping I gave it its due, perhaps even a touch of period noir.

For anyone who shoots theater or other stage productions, you know the lighting is at best poor. Most of these were shot between ISO 6400 and 10,000 with either a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 or a Tokina 17-35 f/4. No flash was used. Not my cuppa tea.

There are 34 shots but I'll only deluge you with 14. (I did have to clone in parts of the old Jew's bears because it kept falling off - Not the best clone job but usable in a pinch. From shooting Thursday night to the 34 produced I was given a window of noon on Friday so the programs could be printed in time for the show.) Just noticed #12 & 13 are out of order.

1 Uncertainty

iv-1-classic-camera-4.jpg

2 The Businessman and the Gypsy

iv4.jpg

3 Businessman Begs for a Phone Call

iv5.jpg

4 Three New are Added to the Group

iv8.jpg

5 The Austrian Prince and the Commoner Discuss the Whys of What's Occurring

iv12.jpg

6 The Businessman is Given His Free Pass and Ignores the Group as He Leaves

iv14.jpg

7 The Youngest of the Group Shares a View of His Papers

iv16.jpg

8 The Owner of the Bistro Tells His Waiter About the Crematoriums

iv18.jpg

9 Owner Tells the Boy He Should Have Left Earlier When Advised So

iv19.jpg

10 A Botched Attempt at Escaping His Fate

iv23.jpg

11 The False Bravado of Self Righteousness

iv24.jpg

12 The Jew fights for His Prized Possession

iv26.jpg

13 A German Officer Explains Why His Life is as Important as Theirs

iv25.jpg

14 And Lastly, the Austrian Prince Gives His Pass to the Commoner and Implores Him to Run

iv27.jpg

A drama set in France during the early parts of the German occupation when they began rounding up Jews, artists, musicians, gypsies and other "undesirables."

The director got into a bind when her scheduled photographer failed to show for the last dress rehearsal and less than an hour before the rehearsal asked if I could fill in. She had some old stills taken from faded 8mm film clips that looked as if they had been hand-tinted of that era taken by her grandmother who survived the holocaust and asked if I could reproduce these in that style. The ones she had were badly faded but I gave it a try anyway. I am hoping I gave it its due, perhaps even a touch of period noir.

For anyone who shoots theater or other stage productions, you know the lighting is at best poor. Most of these were shot between ISO 6400 and 10,000 with either a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 or a Tokina 17-35 f/4. No flash was used. Not my cuppa tea.

There are 34 shots but I'll only deluge you with 14. (I did have to clone in parts of the old Jew's bears because it kept falling off - Not the best clone job but usable in a pinch. From shooting Thursday night to the 34 produced I was given a window of noon on Friday so the programs could be printed in time for the show.) Just noticed #12 & 13 are out of order.

1 Uncertainty

View attachment 125622

2 The Businessman and the Gypsy

View attachment 125623

3 Businessman Begs for a Phone Call

View attachment 125624

4 Three New are Added to the Group

View attachment 125625

5 The Austrian Prince and the Commoner Discuss the Whys of What's Occurring

View attachment 125626

6 The Businessman is Given His Free Pass and Ignores the Group as He Leaves

View attachment 125627

7 The Youngest of the Group Shares a View of His Papers

View attachment 125628

8 The Owner of the Bistro Tells His Waiter About the Crematoriums

View attachment 125629

9 Owner Tells the Boy He Should Have Left Earlier When Advised So

View attachment 125630

10 A Botched Attempt at Escaping His Fate

View attachment 125632

11 The False Bravado of Self Righteousness

View attachment 125633

12 The Jew fights for His Prized Possession

View attachment 125634

13 A German Officer Explains Why His Life is as Important as Theirs

View attachment 125636

14 And Lastly, the Austrian Prince Gives His Pass to the Commoner and Implores Him to Run

View attachment 125635
I think you did a great job.

Shooting plays is great prctice for street photography.
You were lucky in that the lighting pretty much flooded the stage.

Nicely done.

L

Shooting plays is great prctice for street photography.
You were lucky in that the lighting pretty much flooded the stage.

Nicely done.

L

Thanks, I asked them to push them up a tad and they complied nicely. Even so, it wasn't nearly as well lit as it appears. TG I have Photoshop..LOL

[/QUOTE]
I think you did a great job.[/QUOTE]

Thanks...a lot of work but I really like the effect.

Yep, it worked. I know how much work it can be to make stage shots look this good. Well done Sir!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back