Incoming: Nikon AF-S 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED

Peeb

Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Been shopping for some time for a wide-to-short telephoto lens. Been using a 28-105D with most good (and some excellent) results, but I suspect the resolving power of this more modern lens MIGHT be better and it MIGHT focus a bit more accurately. If not, I'm picking it up used on ebay for $200 and unless it's been misrepresented, I should have little trouble flipping it.

Really was interested in a 24-70 or 28-70 f/2.8 lens, but decided that the size and weight would grow to annoy me. I'll let you know what I think when it comes in.

Anybody have any thoughts on this version of the 24-6-85 (there are at least three versions by Nikon)?

The first D600 I bought came with one as part of a kit. I really didn't like it for 2 reasons.

1. 85mm was way too short for what I wanted to shoot.
2. It used 67mm filters. I'm geared up for 77mm. And using an adapter ring creates more problems than it solves.

I ended up selling it and getting the 24-120, then added the (my now 'go-to' lens,) 28-300.

BTW, when it comes in and I have time, I plan to do a 'shoot-out' with the 28-105d and see who wins.

The victor will stay, the vanquished will be sent to languish in E-bay.

You didn't get the VR model?

You didn't get the VR model?
Naw- I love VR on my longer lenses, but I've never missed it on my 28-105 so I figured if I could get a clean non-VR copy of this lens to try for only $200- why not?

Most reactions

Back