indecision on job offers...

vonnagy

have kiwi, will travel...
Reaction score
Website
www.vonnagy.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I can say that i am pretty chuffed, i lost a job, but now have 2 great job offers. I am torn between the two.. my gut instinct, which i live on, is not helping me out here.

Job 1. Web Marketing Consultant Involves working with the clients, through a ten step program to market there website. Exciting new company, rapidly expanding. Has already captured most of the NZ Market, movign towards Australia and UK soon.

Pros:
1. Young Company
2. Very Results Oriented
3. Very, very intelligent coworkers
4. Dynamic outgoing CEO, & supervisor is very 'with it'
5. Growing now and exellent growth potential, potential for higher salary
6. Very focused on Internet Marketing
7. Market Leader, well known name
8. Structured, well defined role.
9. Potential to do a lot of research (i dig research)
10. Requires alot of lateral thinking.

Cons.
1. Very focused on Internet Marketing (ie not diversified- good for the business itself, but I love doing a bit of everything)
2. Pays less 5K less than below
3. No Parking place (ie Long long walk or pay parking)
4. Lifestyle will suffer, ie probably be more focused on the company than my own lifestyle.
5. Potential for higher stress (but higher rewards as well)

Job 2. Project Manager. Dealing with clients email marketing campaigns and assistign the development team. It is a subsidary of NZ Post, so it has stability. Also a bit of search engine marketing & programming as needed.

Pros:
1. Established Business
2. Very down to earth & honest manager, friendly coleagues
3. Apparently a very easy job for me to do.
4. Potential to move in several other IT ventures within NZ post
5. More holidays
6. Pays 5K more per anum than above job
7. No Parking, but closer to home than above job, can park free in Parnell and walk there with relative ease.
8. Less Structured role, more flexible
9. More women work here, plus the receptionist is a total hottie :drool:
10. Work seems more 'balanced' ie: work isn't everything

Cons:
1. less dynamic, not as exciting (email marketing is not as sexy as search engine marketing)
2. have spoken to former employers who were dissatisfied with them
3. Is part of a gov't agency... so all the pitfalls that go with that :roll: (has one foot in the private sector and one foot in the public sector)
4. potential for me to get very bored there.

--------------------

The decision has to ultimately be made by me, but perhaps you can see a question I am not asking myself here? I will probably make the decision after easter

Take the second one....of course the first one is going to pitch you a teriffic sales job but take my word for it, it never works out.
The old story about "jam tomorrow" is just that, a story!
They're looking for eager young starry eyed dreamers to work their guts out for no pay and when (or if) it works you'll find yourself out in the cold as they move in the next batch of kids who are willing to work for something that won't happen.
If you don't get the bucks right up front you'll never get it right.

That's a tough one, sweets..... I'm not going to advise you either way. I think you should pay attention to the red flags of "dissatisfied former employees" in the 2nd offer.... do you mind being bored at work, for more money and the apparent stability? That might be a fair trade-off. How much do you dig the idea of growing with a younger, more exciting company - where the work itself turns you on? Can you afford to go $5K less? How big an impact will that really have?

I'm not being much help here. I know you're turning all this over in your head. Hopefully your gut will point you in the right direction and it will work out. I'm rooting for you either way! :hug:

I'm confused was it former employees or former employers of yours that were not satisfied with the company?

from my experience I would rather get paid less and go to a job that I truly enjoy.

I see your conundrum here. Thats a tough choice.

Got to be the second one. Firstly, you work for a living so the money has to come first.
Thanks for signing my guestbook btw :wink:

Have you tried assigning a point value to each of the pro's and con's?
When I had a job offer for a new firm, I tried this - the more important items got the most points (+ for pros, - for cons) then I added them up.... I went with the winning outcome - and its been wonderful. Best of Luck to you.

Most reactions

Back