Indian Python

snakeman55

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
11 feet, 60 pounds
chilizssffresize.jpg.w560h509.jpg

Thanks

Welcome to the forum, is that your snake?

Wow nice pic. How do you capture the foreground as clear and the background blurry? I've always wanted to do some shots like that, but can't figure it out for the life of me. I'm using a digital camera if it makes a difference. Something with aperture right?

GARRETTgalbreath said:
Wow nice pic. How do you capture the foreground as clear and the background blurry? I've always wanted to do some shots like that, but can't figure it out for the life of me. I'm using a digital camera if it makes a difference. Something with aperture right?
Exactly. It is the handiwork of a wide open aperture.

Which camera do you have?

Nicodemus said:
You can also get this effect by using a long lens, correct?
The aperture numbers of a good long lens usually starts at 2.8. I wouldn't know for sure if f2.8 would give you the shallow 'depth of field ' in the above picture.

I would pick a 50mm lens and set the aperture or f number at f1.4 or f1.8 to get this effect.

I have a Sony Cybershot 5mp DSC-V1. Is a new lens the only/best way to get the DoF in order to take photos like that? I'm not planning on buying anything for this camera, I'm really new to this and just trying to learn some fundamentals and decide which way I want to head into photography.

You can get a slightly shallow DOF with some digi-cams. Usually the macro mode, close up is your best bet. Also, set the aperture to it's widest (lowest number).

However, you probably won't be able to get really shallow with that type of camera.

Yes a longer focal length will shorten your DOF...especailly when the subject is not too far away.

GARRETTgalbreath said:
I have a Sony Cybershot 5mp DSC-V1. Is a new lens the only/best way to get the DoF in order to take photos like that? I'm not planning on buying anything for this camera, I'm really new to this and just trying to learn some fundamentals and decide which way I want to head into photography.
You can't buy new lens for the DSC-V1. It is a fixed lens camera. However, its Aperture ranges from 2.8 to 4.0. Read the booklet that came with the camera. See if you can manually change its aperture. If yes, select a subject, and shoot a bunch of frames with all the aperture values (2.8 to 4.0). Just make sure you do not change the focal length (zoom) or move while doing this test. You will see the 'effect' varying.

Most reactions

Back