Indoor Arena Racing (Motocross)

Discussion in 'Photojournalism & Sports Gallery' started by jmthompson, Feb 2, 2009.

1. jmthompson

jmthompson TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Here are some images from my second attempt at shooting indoor motocross. This arena is extremely dark, dusty, and COLD (about 40 degrees F)! I have another event coming up on February 14 in the same arena, so any critique and comments would be greatly appreciated! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These were all shot with a Canon 50mm 1.8 at 1/250 at an ISO-800, and I also shot with a Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS with a 430EX speedlite. I preferred the 50mm, as the 70-200 got a little heavy after 10 hours, and I wasn't quite sure how to follow all the action using a monopod. I am open to all suggestions, especially with composition, as there is so much background "stuff" going on, I was having a hard time with the angles, cropping, etc., all while still trying convey a sense of height in the jumps.

Thanks for looking!

2. keybq

keybq TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Honestly i dont see anything wrong except maybe try to bounce the flash but since the ceiling are high, you would have to make a homemade bounce.

3. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    For a start i would take the 70-200 off the monopod because it will restrict you too much, then set the flash for some 2nd curtain sinc shots so you can blur the background

4. jmthompson

jmthompson TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the advice. I will try setting the flash for 2nd curtain sync. I have never used that, as I am just starting to use the flash for more than just fill light. I did shoot from under the announcer's booth so I would have a low ceiling above me to bounce the flash from, and that seemed to helped quite a bit. I didn't shoot with a monopod, although I sure would have liked to by about time the finals rolled around! But I definitely thought it would be too cumbersome, especially when I was shooting from outside the arena through the gate; and inside the arena I wanted to be able to move fast if those bikes were coming my way ~ didn't want to be tripping over my monopod!!!

Thanks again for the pointers!

5. Jim Stafford

Jim Stafford TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What about a pan of a rider running the tops of the whoops. Should be enough speed to get a good blur and a sense of motion.

Checked out your website, nice work.

6. jmthompson

jmthompson TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Great idea Jim, thanks for the suggestion! I haven't tried much panning, but this would be the ideal opportunity.

Thanks for the compliments on my website!