Indoor low lighting

officersdr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to buy a new lens for weddings. I have had a problem with low light shooting with my current lens ( 18-70 F3.5 - ?? ).

I'm looking at the 28-70 sigma f2.8 or the tamron 50mm f2.8......Would these lens help out with low lighting?? Mainly for the 1st dance.

I want to buy a new lens for weddings. I have had a problem with low light shooting with my current lens ( 18-70 F3.5 - ?? ).

I'm looking at the 28-70 sigma f2.8 or the tamron 50mm f2.8......Would these lens help out with low lighting?? Mainly for the 1st dance.

Not much you would be better with a 50mmF1.8 or 50mmF1.4, F3.5 to F2.8 isn't quite 1 stop

First dances are often very dark...even with F1.4 and ISO 1600, you may have trouble. If that's the case, I tend to rely on flash or some other form of lighting. I know a few wedding photographers who are using video lights for situations like this. Not only does it give you some light, but it can also help for focusing.

My primary wedding lenses are F2.8 zooms...and that's for shooting most of the day...so I would certainly suggest that you have something like 28-70mm F2.8
I assume you are shooting on a crop camera, so I'd also suggest that you look at the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 or the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

I have Nikon D70, Nikkor AF-S 28-70/2.8D ED and SB-800. In my experience, F2.8 helps, but not much, comparing with F3.5. Even with aperture at F2.8, ISO1600 is sometimes not enough for indoor wedding photo if there be no flash. VR or IS doesn't help much, too, because your subject is not stationary and you have to keep shutter speed high enough even if your camera sits on a tripod.

Yet flash is sometimes not a good idea because its cold color interferes with field light (usually in warm yellow) and results in strange color difference in foreground and background. Thus I prefer high ISO though D70 is poor in high ISO. If you have D90 or full-frame D700 (I assuming you're using Nikon camera), it would be much better than D70.

I would go with 2 primes.....try the nikor 1.8 which is only about 100 bucks new and crops to 75mm and if you can get your hands on a 28mm 2.8 add this lens also. I shoot wedding and use 50mm 1.7 almost exclusively at the reception and get wonderful results.....add the large apeture with flash and a high ISO and you can shoot in the vitual dark!

George....good luck

The ultimate wedding combination in dark places:

- D700 or D3
- 85mm F/1.4

It may be a little long, but you can basically take a completely candle-lit wedding with success. :lol:

The thing with wedding photography is that the range of conditions in these events is incredible.

- You will need long lenses for standing at the back of the church and getting the first kiss shot and the ceremony

- medium range lenses for the reception/formals/couple running down the church isle and so on

- wide angle "fun" shots at the reception, small rooms as the couple gets prepared for the day, alcoves, etc...

... and ALL of your lenses have to be quality, fast glass if you want clear good pictures in this very dynamic and fast moving event.

Can it be done with a D40 and a kit lens? Sure! The thing is, the results are completely mediocre in comparison when you have something like a D3, top of the line glass AND a photographer that knows what (s)he is doing.

Just to backup what Jerry is saying. Here's a shot on the D200 with a 50mm f/1.2 (used at f/1.4) which basically gives you the same thing as the D700 with 85mm f/1.4.

Even with the D200's crap noise performance the 50mm is a great choice for low light weddings. Now imagine this on a D3 :D

2835152780_67448ab47b.jpg

D200's may have a bad rep, Garbz, but thats all it is (and very undeserved!). If you nail the exposure and use noise reduction software if needed, it can output some stunning pics, like your example. :thumbup: :thumbup:

The 85mm F/1.4 at ISO 1600 is a longer lens and let's you step back further from the couple and still give the picture a VERY intimate and close feeling. With this lens, it was still not giving me the highlighted detail I wanted in the picture below (at F/4) until I dialed down the EV settings -2/3 of a stop to get this (using the D700, not the D200):

(Click on picture to see a larger version)

One thing I will say... bokeh on a FX sensor at F/4 is about the same as F/2.8 on a cropped sensor... you really have to watch out for it!

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back