Indoor Photography--Need Advice

beetle_slayer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am wanting to shoot some indoor photos. Rock bands, car shows, etc. Flashes aren't always possible and fast film has its drawbacks. I am looking at a faster lens. I want to know if there is much difference, besides price, of a Canon 85 F1.8 and a F1.2L. Will I gain enought to justify the $1100-$1200 price difference? I dont mind faster film, but grain only works in certain situations.
Thanks!

I think the difference between F1.8 and F1.2 is one stop (or just over one stop). If that's the case, it won't help you that much in a dark situation. Well not $1200 worth of help anyway.

You already have IS lenses. How about a tri-pod or mono-pod?

Could IR film be an option for you? I remember reading that you can use an IR filter on your flash to block the visible light.

The main difference will be the 1.2 is a sharper more contrasty lens. Its only worth it if you have lots of money or will make lots of money.

IS ... Image stabilization. This technology lets you get sharper photos at slower shutter speeds that would normally result in blurriness due to camera shake.

USM ... Ultra Sonic Motor. It's the motor that controls the focusing of the lens in auto focus mode. USM is faster and quieter than lenses without USM.
http://www.canon.ca/digitalphotography/english/ctech_article.asp?id=182&tid=6

There is a happy medium :)

f/1.4

I'd say it's worth getting the fastest lens you can afford. Being able to keep a fast shutter for a rock concert is rather important IMO. What good is a tripod if your musicians are moving all over. (true the effect can add to a photo, but I'd rather have the choice of making that effect, versus being forced into it.)

Well I am stilling learning how to take indoor shots too. Most of my shots with flash are crap... it's a steep learning curve.

Anyone can advice on how do I twick my flash instead?

Right now when I use flash, I set my body to P and lens to F22( the orange mark). The store that sold me the flash told me to just leave it in this mode and the flash will do it automatically. So far not too good.

It isnt practical to carry a tripod or monopod with me and my IS lens is only F3.5 at 28mm, still too slow. I think what I have gathered is the F1.8 will be my best best. I am kinda interested in the infared aspect. Tell me more...

One thing to keep in mind is that wide apertures give you a shallow depth of field. You will be able to shoot in low light using the 85mm at f1.8, but not a lot will be in focus. A person's eyes may be sharp, but then their ears will be soft.

Gameboy.sized.jpg

This shot was taken with a Canon 85/1.8 on Canon Elan body @ f1.8. The focal point was the boy's right eye (image left). At 1.2, there would be very little that's sharp, and it would be near impossible to get a good pic of something moving.

Personally, I like using shallow depth of field, but it's not always appropriate. I love the 85/1.8 lens, BTW. It's perfect for portraits and has great bokah (the look of the out-of-focus parts).

On camera flashes generally suck. If you want to improve you flash pics, the best thing would be to get one you can hold off-camera attached with a cord. That way you can hold it off to the side (or have someone help do that), and the light won't be so direct and flat. Plus they are more powerful, so you won't have to worry so much about fall-off and uneven lighting.

Most reactions

Back