Indoor Refractor Lighting

mcbob22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm a sports card dealer & collector! I'm having problems with lighting when I take pictures of refractor sports cards. A refractor sports card is a card that has a very shiny, refractor look (red/green/blue/yellow) when angled in the light. When I take pictures of a card it seems to always come out either to dark or to light, I've used all the camera settings, all the different lighting available to me like flouresent and soft light bulbs and still no good pictures. My camera is a Digital Olympus Camedia C-2020 Z 2.1 Megapixel, I know it's not the best but my Sony Mavica MVC-fd85 stopped working, which I must say has been my favorite digital camera up to this point, so what am I doing wrong? Best regards, Susie.

You might want to try shooting them outdoors in indirect sunlight. I use to do a lot of copy work and I would either use a copy stand or shoot them outdoors in indirect sunlight. Try shooting at a slight angle to prevent reflection.

What is a light tent? I'm a woman I don't know all these technical terms, LOL!

you take a big piece of material (white) for example ... a bed sheet, and try to direct reflected light of it onto your cards. Another possibility is to put a light behind the sheet.

Thank you very much Digital Matt for the website it looks very informative, I will build a tent and let you know how it turns out! Thanks again, Susie.

Most reactions

Back