Inexpensive bokeh?

subnet_rx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm coming from point-and-shoot world to DSLR. One thing that is out of range of most point and shoot is bokeh. What lenses should I be looking at for good bokeh for under $200?

Any prime lens..

Your question is kind of ridiculous, in that you didn't specify what brand of camera you have purchased/intend to purchase.. Price differs greatly from brand to brand, as do lenses available...

50mm F1.8. Both nikon and c

anon have them and I think they're both considered the 'nifty fifty'.

I think the "nifty fifty" sucks with the D50 indoors...

Any camera can create bokeh. Even a point and shoot.

I'm coming from point-and-shoot world to DSLR. One thing that is out of range of most point and shoot is bokeh. What lenses should I be looking at for good bokeh for under $200?
You should be able to get decent bokeh with the stock lens...it's a matter of understanding how to take the picture with bokeh in mind. Basically you want to use a long focal length, wide aperture, short distance from camera to subject and some distance between the subject and the background.

Back to Basics - Depth Of Field

Or are you concerned with the quality of the bokeh? Then you have to consider which lens to get.

Sorry, it will be a Rebel XS or XSi. I posted this late last night and thought about it later that I should have put the camera model. I got "some" bokeh with my SX10, but only in special situations where my background was really far from my subject and I had it zoomed. I'd like to expand the number of situations where I could potentially achieve bokeh on a variety of shots.

I'm a Canon shooter and almost all my Canon shooting buddies have picked up either a Canon 5D or 5D Mk II (no one can afford the 1Ds Mk II or 1Ds Mk III) in the past year because of the awesome shallow DOF they can get with the full frame sensor. I don't have one yet but I do plan to get one eventually. The bokeh they get with a good L lens is really smooth and creamy.

Since you're interested in bokeh my suggestion is to get a used 5D if you can afford it.

I'm a Canon shooter and almost all my Canon shooting buddies have picked up either a Canon 5D or 5D Mk II (no one can afford the 1Ds Mk II or 1Ds Mk III) in the past year because of the awesome shallow DOF they can get with the full frame sensor. I don't have one yet but I do plan to get one eventually. The bokeh they get with a good L lens is really smooth and creamy.

Since you're interested in bokeh my suggestion is to get a used 5D if you can afford it.

On the flipside it makes it a lot harder to get deep depth of field when you need it. But I'm willing to sacrifice ;)

On the flipside it makes it a lot harder to get deep depth of field when you need it.
Really? Didn't know that...but considering the kind of pictures my friends take (mostly shallow DOF stuff) I would never be able to tell. They all have crop cameras too so if they did take landscapes or deep DOF pictures I guess they use those instead.

Most reactions

Back